Crimson Madness Features Women's Basketball for First Time

Junior sharpshooter Katie Benzan is congratulated by teammates in Saturday's Crimson Madness three-point contest.
Junior sharpshooter Katie Benzan is congratulated by teammates in Saturday's Crimson Madness three-point contest. By Timothy R. O'Meara
By Henry Zhu, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men's and women's basketball teams opened up Lavietes Pavilion Saturday night for the annual Crimson Madness fan event. This year’s festivities featured the women’s side for the first time in the event’s history at Harvard.

Coaches Kathy Delaney-Smith and Tommy Amaker delivered opening remarks, expressing optimism for the 2018-2019 season and thanking the Harvard community for their support of both programs. Delaney-Smith enters her 37th season at the helm of the women’s team, while Amaker prepares for his 11th campaign with the Crimson.

“The theme for this year is the word sacrifice,” Amaker said. “If we can adopt that word and embrace that word, I think we have a chance to be really successful.”

A slam dunk contest, three-point shootout, and men’s intrasquad scrimmage were among the various activities featured in the fan event. Junior forward Robert Baker captured the slam dunk title, highlighted by a lob from classmate Seth Towns halfway up the Lavietes Pavilion bleachers. Sophomore guard Rio Haskett finished second.

Junior forward Robert Baker was the victor in the slam-dunk contest.
Junior forward Robert Baker was the victor in the slam-dunk contest. By Timothy R. O'Meara

Both the men’s and women’s sides participated in the three-point contest. Captain Sydney Skinner’s impressive string of converted shots landed her the women’s crown, while junior guard Christian Juzang bested classmate Justin Bassey for the men’s title. Numerous alumni returned to Lavietes Pavilion to support their former teammates, including Zena Edosomwan '17 and Chris Egi '18.

The night was capped off by a competitive scrimmage from the men’s team, although the highlight of the night was arguably the knockout contest between student-athletes and fans. Junior big Henry Welsh was the sole Crimson representative remaining but was outlasted by a fan, who was immediately inundated by the two teams.

The intrasquad men’s scrimmage ended in a 41-41 tie after Juzang drained a buzzer-beater triple for the White team. Bassey was the high man of the night with 15 points with first-years Spencer Freedman, Noah Kirkwood, Mason Forbes, and Kale Catchings suiting up in a Crimson uniform for the first time.

First years Noah Kirkwood and Mason Forbes consist of half of the Class of 2022 recruits for Coach Tommy Amaker.
First years Noah Kirkwood and Mason Forbes consist of half of the Class of 2022 recruits for Coach Tommy Amaker. By Timothy R. O'Meara

Among those not in action and recovering from knee injuries were juniors Bryce Aiken and Seth Towns. Captain Corey Johnson and senior Tommy McCarthy were also in sweatpants for the event.

The women’s side opens up their season on Nov. 9 against one of the nation’s top teams, defending national champions Notre Dame. Delaney-Smith exuded confidence in this opening matchup as part of her opening remarks.

“I think if any team that I’ve coached can compete with [Notre Dame], it’s this team we have here at Harvard this year,” Delaney-Smith said. “We are trying to bring our 12th Ivy banner back to Lavietes and I can tell you that...the atmosphere you create is incredible.”

On the men’s side, the season begins on Nov. 6 with its annual intra-Cambridge contest against MIT, before hosting Northeastern three days later at Lavietes Pavilion.

-Staff writer Henry Zhu can be reached at henry.zhu@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @Zhuhen88.

Men's BasketballWomen's BasketballSports Front Feature