‘Star Wars Resistance’ An Enjoyable, Youthful Take on the Star Wars Universe

Series Premiere

Christopher Sean voices Kazuda Xiono in "Star Wars Resistance" on the Disney Channel
Christopher Sean voices Kazuda Xiono in "Star Wars Resistance" on the Disney Channel By Courtesy of Disney / YouTube
By Mikel J. Davies, Contributing Writer

After more than 40 years of the Star Wars universe’s dominance of not only the sci-fi genre but entertainment as a whole — LEGO sets, books, and classic action figures — the thrilling story first told by George Lucas in the 1970s continues today with “Star Wars Resistance.” Set in the months leading up to the events shown in “Star Wars Episode VII,” the newest member of the Star Wars family wades into previously untouched territory between the resolution of the original trilogy and the beginning of the sequel trilogy still being released today. During its family-friendly 43 minute runtime, we are introduced to a new cast of characters, a new planet in the outer ring, and a charming futuristic city in the sea. With its gentle nods to the origins of the Skywalker family of the first two trilogies and creative, original content, the show refreshingly leads the audience on another untold story in the ever-expanding Star Wars universe.

During the first scene of a show suitable for seven-year olds, the best of Star Wars reveals itself, something even some of the big-budget films have failed to do. Starting with a slow build of tense, subtle music finally reaching its peak as the main character, Kazuda Xiono (Christopher Sean), reveals himself to be a star fighter pilot for the New Republic, the show echoes that of its predecessors in a charming new way. As a new, non-jedi hero that children and adults can enjoy as much as Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Kazuda, in his child-friendly mannerisms, takes “Star Wars Resistance” on an excellent journey in space. Following some of the guiding principles of what many view as the best three Star Wars movies — the original trilogy — the show takes an exciting, original approach without becoming a boring copy of the past. The new planet, Castellan, rises over the horizon as a new world in the outer rim brimming with new adventurous opportunity. The main characters, Kazuo, Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), Yeager (Scott Lawrence), and Neeku (Josh Brener), get into trouble and work their way out of it in a creative way making friends along the way. The rugged supertanker fuel depot, the Collosus, where the heroes fight for the New Republic and the Resistance against the First Order brims with history and depth. “Resistance” effortlessly takes its heroes and villains on a thrilling journey in an untouched part of the galaxy while staying enjoyable for any age.

Along with the exciting introduction, the show speaks to its family-approachability through its art-style, dialogue, and themes without losing the exciting touch of the more mature past. Through its charming animation modeled from Cartoon Network, which brought to life the most well-loved and renowned animated Star Wars universe, “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” the whole atmosphere of the show speaks to its amiability. Through and through, the show aims to be one that a parent can appreciate while a child watches. The conversations never stray into unfriendly territory and the themes are heartwarming in their conclusion. Although “Episode IV” dealt with massacred families and the destruction of worlds, the lack of depth in the themes of “Resistance” does not translate to lack of enjoyment throughout.

As the Star Wars universe expands evermore with the annual release of a new film and the continual development of plot holes in animation, “Star Wars Resistance” is not a show to skip over. Even though it does not come close to the mastery that was “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” the intended audience — seven-year old children in love with the space epic — will enjoy the show nonetheless. The fun-loving nature of the characters, the thrill of space battles, and the excitement that comes with new introductions is enough to keep Kazuda and his company of friends busy with new adventures for weeks to come.

ArtsTV