‘Succession’ Succeeds ‘Game of Thrones’ as TV’s Next Big Show

Sarah Snook, Matthew Macfadyen, Hiam Abbass, Alan Ruck, and J. Smith-Cameron all star in latest season of HBO’s “Succession.”
By John R. Our, Contributing Writer

Sarah Snook, Matthew Macfadyen, Hiam Abbass, Alan Ruck, and J. Smith-Cameron all star in latest season of HBO’s “Succession.” By Courtesy of: Peter Kramer/HBO

This review contains spoilers for Season Two of “Succession.”

Since “Game of Thrones” ended in May, many have worried about HBO’s future, especially in light of the upcoming streaming wars, which will mean more streaming TV than ever before. Will HBO be able to compete with the likes of Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Peacock, the upcoming streaming service by NBCUniversal? Chances are the answer is yes, especially if HBO continues to put out shows like “Succession,” arguably the best drama on TV right now, if not the best show on TV. Just a reminder to any “Fleabag” fans out there: “Fleabag” is not returning for a third season, so it can no longer be the top-rated show.

“Succession” first premiered in June 2018, and recently wrapped its second season last weekend. The show was not particularly popular when it first premiered, but now it has become a must-watch for both viewers and critics alike. The show focuses on the fictional Roy family, the owners of a right-wing media empire, Waystar Royco (think Rupert Murdoch and Fox News). The patriarch and CEO of Waystar Royco is the brash Logan Roy (Brian Cox), who has four adult children: Kendall Roy (Jeremy Strong), Roman Roy (Kieran Culkin), Siobhan “Shiv” Roy (Sarah Snook), and Connor Roy (Alan Ruck). Each child awaits their chance to succeed their father as CEO of Waystar Royco, hence the title of the show.

At the beginning of Season Two, it looks as though the keys to the family company are going to be handed over to Shiv, who emerges as her father’s favorite after Kendall, who seemed destined for the CEO position in the first season, plots a hostile takeover of Waystar Royco with his father’s archrival, Sandy Furness (Larry Pine), and starts abusing cocaine again. Kendall is not necessarily out of the family fold, however, as, at the end of Season One, he accidentally kills a cater waiter just as he was about to takeover Waystar Royco with Sandy. When Logan gets wind of this, he covers up the death, and, in turn, Kendall must submit to his father and give up any hope of ever taking over the family company. In fact, the first scene of the Season Two features Kendall, on the direct orders of his father, going on television and cleaning up the mess he helped make, as Sandy and his friend, Stewy (Arian Moayed), are still gunning for a takeover of Waystar Royco.

While the plot of “Succession” is exciting and gripping, it really is the characters that make this show so compelling. Kendall, who emerged as one of the key players in Season One, takes more of a backseat. However, one of the greatest moments of TV this year is undoubtedly Kendall’s cringey rap tribute to his father in episode eight of Season Two, which is simultaneously horrific and brilliant. Kendall slowly develops over the course of the season, but it isn’t until the end that the viewer really witnesses his change. Suffice to say, the finale pulls the rug from under the viewers’ feet, and Kendall is a big part of that twist.

Surprisingly, the second season of “Succession” focused much more on Shiv, who went full on Ivanka Trump this season. In one particular scene, Logan callously forces Shiv to threaten and pay off a woman who was sexually harassed at the company in exchange for her silence. What’s most shocking is Shiv’s willingness to comply. Are these illegal and compromising actions really even worth it for Shiv? Despite being promised the top job by her father in episode one of Season Two, Shiv is cast aside by her father for Rhea Jarrell (Holly Hunter), who poses a real threat to Shiv and her agreement with her father. Hunter adds a terrific element to Shiv’s storyline and the plot on the whole.

Other characters who stood out this season include the obnoxious Roman, even if he is a bit forgotten. This, however, may be an indication that he will step up in Season Three. Shiv’s foolish husband, Tom Wambsgans (Matthew Macfadyen), and Logan’s stupid but increasingly Machievallian grand-nephew, Greg Hirsch (Nicholas Braun), still provide much of the comic relief when paired together. Though Tom is married to Shiv, we all know his real partner is Greg. As much as “Succession” is a serious show, it is also very funny — ironically funnier than most TV comedies. Logan is an incredible character, still steered by the character of King Lear, and as bad as it may sound, it really is enjoyable to watch a father be cruel to his own spoiled, grown adult children.

“Succession” fills the void left by “Game of Thrones,” but it may in fact be a much better show. This show is all about power, but isn’t afraid to go much further: This season even involves a “blood sacrifice” — but we won’t get into that. “Succession” entices viewers so much with its mix of drama and black comedy that if it can maintain that form, it may win the Iron Throne as one of the greatest TV shows of all time.

ArtsTV