In Photos: Harvard Square at Night

By Ryan N. Gajarawala
By Ryan N. Gajarawala

When the tourists go away, what’s here to stay? After the sun sets in Harvard Square, students and locals alike partake in a colorful culture of nightlife, ranging from playing games to partying to studying. Until two or three in the morning, the Square is bustling with people, all with different intentions, whether it be a bowl of nachos at Jefes, a late night problem set in Lamont, or a night out at a Harvard final club.

By Ryan N. Gajarawala

On a Friday night, Erica M. Jarrell ‘21 bartends at the Cambridge Queenshead Pub. Located under Harvard’s Memorial Hall, the Queenshead Pub hosts different events ranging from Karaoke to Trivia.

Julio F. Torres Santana, a Masters of Architecture student at the Graduate School of Design, plays pool at the Queenshead Pub on many Friday nights.

A party-goer makes a phone call as she attempts to enter a traditionally exclusive final club at Harvard University, the Phoenix S.K. Club. Parties hosted by Harvard’s final clubs are a prominent part of campus nightlife.

Hong Kong’s bright neon red sign is an iconic symbol of Harvard Square’s nightlife. Colloquially known as “Kong” among Harvard students, the Chinese restaurant is a popular destination for late-night meals.

Tanisha M. Mugwimi ‘21 and Jess J. Shodipo ‘20 enjoy the cheesy texture of mozzarella sticks at 2 a.m. in Winthrop House’s Grille and Cafe.

A Harvard night out would not be complete without a line out the door of El Jefe’s Taqueria, a popular Mexican fast food restaurant in the Square. On weekends, students and locals alike can take advantage of the taqueria’s operating hours until 4 a.m. to recover from a long night out.

While partying occurs on Harvard’s campus, many students often retreat to the libraries to study. Students Jonathan M. Ragheb ‘22 and Michael O. Raji ‘22 are working in the Smith Center’s Collaborative Commons on a problem set for their introductory biology course. Although busy with work, both students appear to be enjoying themselves.

Looking through a gate of Harvard Yard, the Harvard shuttle zooms down Massachusetts Avenue as it begins the trek to the Radcliffe Quad. Many weekends, the shuttle is bustling with Harvard undergraduates heading to the Radcliffe Quad in search of a party.

Harvard’s night culture is as fast-paced and busy as the day is for most students. Whether it be going out, studying, watching a movie, playing games, or even sleeping early, nightlife in Harvard Square is varied but plentiful.

On CampusHarvard SquarePhoto Essay