What The Hell Happened: Disney Joins the Streaming Service World

By November 2019, the company will launch Disney+, a service that will provide access to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Pixar, the Star Wars franchise, and over 7,500 TV episodes.
By November 2019, the company will launch Disney+, a service that will provide access to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Pixar, the Star Wars franchise, and over 7,500 TV episodes. By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

For too long, streaming supergiant Netflix has sat on the throne. It has easily conquered competitors like Amazon Prime Video and Hulu, effectively holding the monopoly on streaming services — and basking in it. Netflix has all the power and clout imaginable (see: “Netflix and chill,” “Bird Box” memes, and their 130 million paid subscribers), and they don’t plan on slowing down anytime soon.

At least, that’s what Disney implied when the multi-billion dollar conglomerate said “no more” and announced their own streaming service. By November of this year, the company will launch Disney+, a service that will provide access to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Pixar, the Star Wars franchise, and over 7,500 TV episodes, including episodes from beloved TV series like “Hannah Montana” and “That’s So Raven.”

There is no doubt that Disney is a force to be reckoned with. Their ownership over huge corporations like 21st Century Fox adds to their seemingly infinite library of films and television shows, many of which are critically acclaimed and popular among a global audience. The acquisition of Fox included a majority shareholder position over Hulu, another streaming service that the company will pair with Disney+. And even just the accessibility of all things Disney will be a major advantage for the company. After almost 100 years of entertainment, it will be difficult not to get viewers to subscribe.

For Disney, this is the perfect time to introduce their latest innovation. Unemployment is low and consumption is high, which is all the more reason to introduce a streaming service that is only $6.99 a month, a cheap alternative compared to Netflix’s premium monthly subscription at $15.99.

Disney will also provide original content as well as previously produced shows and movies. The service will have classics like “Cinderella” and “The Simpsons” and popular films like “Black Panther” and “Ratatouille.” And Disney is promising original content as well, with shows such as “High School Musical: The Series” and a star Wars-based series called “The Mandalorian” set to premiere with the launch of the streaming service.

Disney’s greatest advantage is that they are not only bringing classics and original content, but they also have a reputation established almost 100 years ago. Their plethora of shows and movies, their well-known reputation for producing incredible animation movies, and the possible accessibility of nostalgic TV shows are all pluses for the company as they embark on this trip.

But one can’t help but wonder what will become of Netflix and other streaming services once Disney+ hits the ground running. Will they co-exist peacefully? Will one rise above the rest? Will Disney eventually buy Netflix like it has been doing with everything else? With Disney+’s launch more than half a year away, we’ll have to wait and see.

ArtsCulture