‘Rememory’: A Nostalgic Collaboration Between Supa Bwe and Chance the Rapper

Cover Art for Supa Bwe's "Rememory."
Cover Art for Supa Bwe's "Rememory." By Courtesy of Frederick S. Burton (Supa Bwe)
By Alexis J. Boo, Contributing Writer

“Rememory,” the latest collaboration between Chicago artists Chance the Rapper and Supa Bwe, pulls the listener into the clouds with its dreamy lullabies and lyrics about the past. However, both artists seem to pull in different musical directions throughout the song.

“Rememory” is a trip back in time. Chance the Rapper’s husky voice floats intimately over a soft piano tune, like he’s whispering a bedtime story. The intimacy of this moment drives the song’s nostalgic quality. It’s an in-your-feels type of song whose lyrics evoke remembrance of times gone by. Despite this calming vibe, “Rememory” doesn’t drag — once Chance employs his classic use of dexterous word repetition, he leads the song toward an even, rhythmic bounce more appropriate for head-bopping than dozing off.

The lyrics ring of old promises in the heat of the summer. Chance the Rapper asks, “I used to know the plan, you still know the plan right? / I hope you know I’m playin’, you still know I’m playin’, right?” These words are an empty question, because those old summer days are long forgotten. “Rememory” speaks of a one-sided yearning for the past: “Walk ‘round the world without you / Stuck in the world / What is the world without you? / I can’t pretend it never happened / Even if you wish it hadn’t.” While the overall vibe of the song is nostalgic and sweet, the lyrics illustrate how good memories can also be painful.

“Rememory” keeps with this wistful, endearing sound until Supa Bwe enters the mix. He breaks the soothing nature of the song with his volume. Supa Bwe has a unique quality to his voice that sounds wavy and auto-tuned, which might succeed in other works from this EP, such as “I Hate You,” or “SLIPPIN / APEX,” but not here. The voices of Supa Bwe and Chance the Rapper contrast too much, grating against each other in sound and style. It makes for a confusing listening experience. Supa Bwe’s calling voice pulls away from the intimacy “Rememory” attempted to create.

Eventually as the song comes to a close with an echoed rap of “Way back,” “Rememory” comes full circle to the youthful, music-box-like quality it started with, leaving a sentimental impression. On one hand, Chance the Rapper is close to us, as he’s gently tucking us into bed. But on the other, Supa Bwe is on the opposite side of the house and yelling at us to get into bed. Both artists want us to go to sleep, but Chance might be more endearing in his request.

MusicArts