Op Eds

Mitigating the College Tuition Crisis

By James M. Rogers

The Second Amendment is widely disputed for its validity in an age of automatic weapons. Seldom invoked by name in the general public, the Fourteenth Amendment is similarly relevant today — in an age where a college education is increasingly valuable, should the right to an education legally extend that far?

To be clear, the Fourteenth Amendment does not guarantee a right to education. In fact, no such provision is found anywhere in the U.S. Constitution. However, the amendment does guarantee equal protection under the law; it ensures that all people have equal access to public schools in the states in which they are established. Perhaps it is this ambiguity, this lack of a truly guaranteed education in any capacity, that makes the college tuition debate so difficult to tackle.

There is no denying that college tuition is astronomical. In the 2016-2017 academic year, students attending public colleges in their home states paid an average of $14,210 in tuition and fees. Noting that this statistic already accounts for financial aid and scholarships, this is a rather unreasonable expectation of young men and women at the very beginning of their adult lives. For those without families supporting them financially, such a burden is all but impossible to carry.

Therefore, members of the Harvard student body and beyond are reasonably calling for politicians to find a solution. The solution supported by many and touted by politicians like Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.) is completely free, four-year college education for all. This is, in theory, a great solution and a spectacular equalizer of the American playing field. In the supposed land of equal opportunity, it seems nonsensical that a college education would not be accessible to all citizens. However, such a solution is rather impractical.

The United States faces a debt of more than $22 trillion, and does not have enough tax revenue to support its most desolate citizens. Taxes could certainly be raised, especially taxes on the wealthy, but it would take a massive increase to generate enough tax revenue to provide free tuition for all.

Furthermore, it would hardly be fair to completely eliminate college tuition and fees. There are millions of people struggling to pay off student loans — U.S. citizens currently owe $1.5 trillion in student loan debt. To eliminate tuition for the next generation would put those currently in debt at a disadvantage.

It would seem, therefore, the only way to fairly eliminate college tuition would be to cancel all student loan debt. But such sweeping forgiveness of a mountain of debt would likely demand an even greater tax increase and have negative implications for the economy as a whole.

How then, can we take steps toward a more even playing field? The most reasonable solution, for now at least, would be to guarantee free two-year degree programs. Indeed, this could create similar issues as outlined above, but on a much smaller scale. The tax-payer burden would not be as great, and yet hundreds of thousands of people who could not afford to earn degrees would have the opportunity they deserve. Further, the credits earned in these two-year programs could be transferred to four-year universities, enabling students to attain bachelor’s degrees at half the current cost. There would certainly be students who would not take this step, but they would still walk away with a higher degree than they could have otherwise afforded.

Lastly, in regards to student loan debt that is currently owed, perhaps the best solution is to allow more leeway in payments. Decreasing interest rates and forgiving late payments when deemed financially necessary would make the debt much less strenuous on those currently carrying it.

The college tuition crisis will always be relevant — accessible education for all is an ever-enduring issue. It is becoming increasingly difficult to attain a job, let alone a high-paying career, without a college degree, yet there is no equality of collegiate opportunity in the United States. With this in mind, the solution outlined above is admittedly imperfect. It is, however, practical, and practical steps must be taken to move closer to fulfilling the American promise of equality for all.

James M. Rogers '22, a Crimson Editorial editor, lives in Mather House.

Op Eds