Op Eds

More American than Bud Light

By Daniel L. Aklog
Daniel L. Aklog ’21, a Crimson Editorial editor, is a Social Studies concentrator in Leverett House.

What does a patriot look like? Close your eyes, envision one, what do you see? American patriotic iconography is easily identifiable — eagles, guns, beer, red, white, and blue. But patriotism needs to signify so much more.

One can see this false patriotism everywhere on college campuses, including here at Harvard. Fraternity culture has co-opted patriotism as an element of its aesthetic. Perhaps this is a reaction to social justice movements on campuses, which are often critical of the country’s history as well as its present. Whatever the motivation, a clear lack of contemplation of these symbols radiates from within this cultural sphere, and this lack of depth is not limited to colleges.

Much of the patriotism that I see in my country is devoid of substance. What is American about brandishing guns and beer with hints of Christianity and hypermasculinity? This shallow interpretation of what it means to be American is at best fun and childish, and at worst disrespectful to the moral traditions of this country. A real patriot respects the beautiful ideals stated at our foundation — life, liberty, equality, opportunity, democracy, and human rights — not a can of Bud Light.

This phenomenon is not always harmful and I admit it can be entertaining, but we must ensure that claims of patriotism are held to a much higher standard.

One cannot claim to love a country while neglecting those who live within it. Patriotism must go deeper than symbolism. Can you truly love your country if you are content with large portions of your compatriots suffering? To claim one’s patriotism must be to perform one’s duty to enhance the nation. Public service is an exhibition of patriotism. Active citizenship is a demonstration of one’s love and pride. A tank top that reads “Back to Back World War Champs” is not.

When we accept the designation of shallow behavior as patriotism, we allow the values of America to be defined by it. If patriotism is the use of symbols akin to wearing a football jersey, then it is meaningless. If we accept that patriotism is the support of militarism, hypermasculinity, and a blind insistence that red, blue, and white is always right, then we accept those to be the values of the nation, and it should be no surprise that it is so often condemned, especially by advocates of liberalism. America should mean much more.

Progressives today often define the United States by the numerous horrors of its past and present. Open any American history textbook and you will see a long list of atrocities committed by the people and government of this country. To deny the moral weight of the Trail of Tears, slavery, and a vast collection of other barbarities would be disgraceful. However, love of one’s country does not condone those actions. The United States has treated me well, but a significant portion of the population has had a much darker experience, so it is understandable that many do not feel the love that I do. I love the country itself — not everything, or even most, of what it has done.

Patriotism has long been associated with conservatism, while champions of Enlightenment liberalism have opted instead to forward a cosmopolitan worldview, in which the moral perspective is at the international level, as all people should be considered equally, independent of their proximity. National identity is often seen as a threat because it’s only a few steps away from fascism.

It is a mistake for my fellow progressives to reject patriotism as an inherent vice. First of all, community fills us with an essential feeling and makes governance more effective. We can achieve more with a sense of unity. Second, this worldview underestimates the difficulty of self-mobilization to help people you will never meet. Patriotism does not require an abandonment of responsibilities abroad, where morality still holds this onus. Like a parent watching their child stand up for justice, when the United States aids people around the world I am proud. And third, American patriotism lends itself especially well to liberal ethical philosophy. As the United States was a child of the Enlightenment, its founding ideals harmonize with liberalism.

Our history and our present are riddled with atrocities, but they do not have to characterize the nation. If we choose to view these as betrayals of our ideals instead of the core to our identity, then we may find fertile ground for a progressive patriotism.

Op Eds