What’s New on Netflix: October 2020

By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
By Jamila R. O'Hara, Contributing Writer

Happy fall! Just like the leaves, Netflix’s collection of films will be gradually changing this month: The streaming platform has a plethora of new content that will be made available for its subscribers this October. Here are a few selections to curl up with in the chilly weather.

“Hunt for the Wilderpeople” — October 1
Taika Waititi’s critically acclaimed adventure comedy-drama follows Ricky Baker (Julian Dennison), a rebellious juvenile delinquent, and his foster uncle Hector (Sam Neill) as they flee into the New Zealand bush and soon find themselves stranded. The national manhunt that ensues provides a unique bonding opportunity for the two, who team up to evade their pursuers. The film, which premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, has been widely praised for its heartfelt family-oriented message and seamless blend of adventure and comedy. The two leads’ memorable dynamic and Waititi’s distinctive brand of deadpan humor make for a compelling, heartfelt narrative.

“Stranger Than Fiction” — October 1
In Marc Forster’s 2006 fantasy comedy-drama, lonely IRS auditor Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) begins hearing a disembodied voice that narrates his day-to-day life in real time with unflinching accuracy. Meanwhile, novelist Karen Eiffel’s (Emma Thompson) struggle with writer's block leads her to conclude that a satisfying ending to her book can only be achieved by killing off her main character, a man named Harold Crick. The realization that Karen’s writing and Harold’s reality are inextricably linked soon brings the two together, and the ensuing struggle raises mind-bending questions about agency and storytelling. The film has been praised for its star-studded cast’s endearing performances, and Zach Helm’s witty script.

“Moneyball” — October 14
This 2011 sports drama follows Billy Beane (Brad Pitt), general manager of the Oakland A’s, as he tries to assemble a competitive lineup for the baseball team’s 2002 season. The biographical film, directed by Bennett Miller, also stars Jonah Hill as Oakland Athletics' assistant manager, Peter Brand. Together, Beane and Brand rail against the system and outsmart greedy ball clubs using a tool called sabermetrics, a statistical approach to assessing and recruiting undervalued players. This acclaimed film nabbed six Academy Awards and four Golden Globe nominations.

The Trial of the Chicago 7” — October 16
Set against the countercultural backdrop of the late ‘60s, writer-director Aaron Sorkin’s latest legal drama tells the story of the Chicago Seven, a group of anti-Vietnam War protesters charged with conspiracy and several other transgressions for riots outside the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. Its ensemble cast features the talents of Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Michael Keaton, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, among several others. The film promises to be both exciting and immersive; beyond this entertainment value, however, it’s also a strikingly timely piece for today’s moment, as nationwide protests against gross racial injustice and systemic oppression continue to go strong.

Mank” — October (unnanounced)
Acclaimed director David Fincher’s upcoming black-and-white biographical drama will premiere on Netflix at some point during October, though its exact release date has not been specified. The film examines the conflict that arose between screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewizc and director Orson Welles during the production of the 1941 drama "Citizen Kane". The film stars Gary Oldman, Amanda Seyfried, and Lily Collins, among others.

Alternatively, if you’re searching for distinctly autumnal content or a new scary flick, Netflix has announced plenty of upcoming releases that will help you get into the Halloween spirit. Here are a few quick suggestions for seasonal movies coming soon to Netflix:

“Cape Fear” — October 1
Martin Scorsese’s 1991 crime/psychological thriller is now available on Netflix.

“Vampires vs. the Bronx” — October 2
A group of teenagers must protect their neighborhood from a gentrifying brood of vampires in this Netflix horror-comedy.

“ParaNorman” — October 18
The 2012 animated comedy-horror arrives on Netflix just in time for Halloween.

“Rebecca” (2020) — October 21
In a new Netflix adaptation of the classic gothic thriller, a woman is haunted by the spirit of her new husband’s first wife. Armie Hammer and Lily James star.

“Cadaver” — October 22
This Norwegian no-sleep horror entry follows a family staying at a hotel in the aftermath of a nuclear disaster.

“His House” — October 30
"His House" is a new Netflix horror film following a refugee couple who encounter evil in their English town.

FilmArts