Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

MBTA Police Arrest Man in Harvard Yard for Illegal Firearm Possession

Transit police recovered a 0.357 calibre handgun between Stoughton Hall and Holworthy Hall.
Transit police recovered a 0.357 calibre handgun between Stoughton Hall and Holworthy Hall. By Rafael Goldstein
By Meera S. Nair, Crimson Staff Writer

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Transit Police arrested a man in Harvard Yard for illegal possession of a firearm Monday evening.

A police officer on patrol at the Harvard Square Red Line station reported spotting the suspect pushing through a fare gate, according to an MBTA press release. Upon the officer attempting to apprehend the suspect, the suspect rushed upstairs out of the station and into Harvard Yard, where he allegedly dropped a firearm into a pile of leaves.

Transit police ultimately stopped the suspect and recovered a 0.357 calibre handgun between Stoughton Hall and Holworthy Hall, two freshman dormitories located in the northwest corner of the Yard. At approximately 7 p.m., the suspect was placed into custody for several gun-related charges, including unlawful possession of a firearm.

The suspect was ultimately identified as Anthony Brown, 29, of Boston, according to the press release.

—Staff writer Meera S. Nair can be reached at meera.nair@thecrimson.com.