‘Over The Moon’ Underwhelms

Dir. Glen Keane and John Kars––3 Stars

Cathy Ang voices Fei Fei in "Over the Moon" (2020), directed by Glen Keane and John Kars.
Cathy Ang voices Fei Fei in "Over the Moon" (2020), directed by Glen Keane and John Kars. By Courtesy of Netflix
By Beverly J. Fu, Contributing Writer

Netflix’s latest animated film, "Over The Moon," pays homage to the Mid-Autumn Festival — a Chinese tradition that spotlights families, mooncakes, and of course, the legend of the ancient moon goddess, Chang’e. The film is also a tribute to screenwriter Audrey Wells, who recently passed away after a battle with cancer. Perhaps it's fitting that "Over the Moon" gives a voice to the emotional struggles of a young girl, Fei Fei (Cathy Ang), who is plunged into mourning when she loses her mother. Although directors Glen Keane and John Kars tell a sweet, touching story, "Over the Moon" falls short of the high standards set by competing studios like Disney and Pixar. Keane's and Kars's film is colorful but lacks cogency, cute but cliché, and imaginative but not sufficiently introspective.

The opening sequence is beautifully illustrated, as Fei Fei’s mother gently serenades the family with Chang’e’s wistful tale. Just as Chang’e waits for her lover on the moon, Fei Fei struggles to move on from her mother’s death. But four years on, her father decides to remarry. In child-like petulance, Fei Fei builds a rocket and journeys to the moon in order to prove that Chang’e is real.

But even with a basic premise, "Over the Moon" runs into narrative problems. It's difficult to distill what Fei Fei sets out to accomplish with her mission to the moon — and it doesn't help that her character arc succumbs to contrived plot devices. It is unfortunate that Keane and Kars don't focus on the film's emotional core: Fei Fei is rarely given the opportunity to reconcile with her personal loss. Instead, "Over The Moon" seems content running on childlike adrenaline, as audiences are taken on an arbitrary quest that is incongruous with the grief and frustration she grapples with.

Fei Fei’s journey through space is structured around the quest for a MacGuffin, with a couple of unconvincing red herrings thrown around along the way. It's a by-the-numbers setup that leads to a dissatisfying denouement — one which serves to be more disappointing than expected because it's easy to predict the intended "plot-twist."

That said, the film offers a few redeeming qualities. For instance, some of the fantastical characters Fei Fei meets in space bear a striking resemblance to close friends or family members from home, such as three space birds who are voiced by the same actors who play Fei Fei's aunts and uncles. This contributes to the implication that Fei Fei is living in her own self-constructed consciousness.

Beyond plot and character, “Over The Moon” also falls short from an animation standpoint, especially compared to the high standards set by Disney and Pixar. The dreamed-up space animals are either poor caricatures of their earthly forms, or clear rip-offs from other animations. For instance, one of the creatures, Gobi, is described as a luminescent green pangolin, but it's difficult to tell what the character is supposed to be from the film's finished illustrations. Other characters simply look like engorged Angry Birds. On the other hand, "Over the Moon" does a good job with its human character designs: Each has gorgeously expressive eyes and dainty button noses. They're even animated to exhibit mannerisms that coincide with their body weight, such as how Fei Fei's heavyset grandpa hobbles instead of walks, and how her hyperactive stepbrother-to-be, Chin (Robert Chiu), bounces around when he moves. The moon goddess’ flawlessly designed wardrobe of traditional Chinese garments also deserves a special mention –– especially her silk-woven Hanfu (a ceremonial dress).

One litmus test for a film's quality is how rewatchable it is. It's difficult to see "Over the Moon" passing that test: Keane's and Kars's film will likely struggle to retain adult audiences, although it could appeal to younger ones with its catchy soundtrack and slapstick humour. While "Over the Moon" is a substandard entry for Netflix, it's a recommended animation for families with younger children who want to commemorate the Mid-Autumn Festival with a sweet, timeless message: “And if you give love / You’ll never lose love”.

FilmArts