Green Day Fights Back on ‘Father of All Motherf**ckers’

The album cover for Green Day's album, "Father of All Motherf**ckers."
The album cover for Green Day's album, "Father of All Motherf**ckers." By Courtesy of Green Day/Reprise Records
By Clara V. Nguyen, Crimson Staff Writer

Mainstream success often brings intense public scrutiny and, with it, a sense of caution. But not even immortalization in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame could stop Green Day from naming their thirteenth studio album, released on Feb. 7, “Father of All Motherf**kers.” The California-based punk rockers’ latest release harnesses the brash flippancy of their early days to bring the new decade an unapologetic dose of ’90s nostalgia.

Despite its musical mixing of the past and present, this album belongs to neither. Green Day has never shied away from pointed invectives against public figures, global affairs, and the deterioration of American society — the band’s 2004 magnum opus “American Idiot” is a prime example — and the trend continues, in all its irreverent glory, on “Father of All Motherf**kers.” But in a distinct change from its earlier work, the band stops short of naming their adversaries, opting instead for generic but instantly recognizable rhymes about a world plagued by “hysteria and paranoia.” Political but never preachy, the album ricochets off 21st century fears with enough classic punk flair to create something truly timeless.

The album’s forceful opener, “Father of All…” kicks with a searing guitar riff. In just four short lines of high-intensity falsetto, the first verse touches on fruitless optimism, climate change, and the band’s frustration with the hypocrisy of the music scene. “Everything else is fake. Frauds I tell ya!!” lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong tweeted about contemporary rock the same day he announced the single. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Armstrong differentiated the righteous anger he expressed so poignantly on “American Idiot” with the sheer disgust evoked by current politics: The latter is “just bloody, and it’s gross.” But he makes clear that the circumstances of his writing have no effect on its merit. “I’ve never been more proud of a single before in my life,” Armstrong said, calling “Father of All…” “the ultimate Green Day song.”

The rest of the album’s tone darts back and forth between outrage and fatalism without ever quite making up its mind. On “Fire, Ready, Aim” and “Oh Yeah,” the drumbeat’s stabilizing foundation barely reins in Armstrong’s fury at America’s glorification of violence and superficiality. Then comes “Junkies on a High,” in which Armstrong sings the praises of drugs and alcohol as an antidote to apocalyptic times, seemingly content to “watch the world burn.” Interestingly, a line in the first verse — “I’ve heard it all before, I smashed my fingers in the door” — closely resembles a passage from Green Day’s 1994 hit “When I Come Around”: “I heard it all before / So don’t knock down my door.” Intentional or not, the subtle self-reference exemplifies the band’s ageless appeal.

Just under half an hour long, Green Day’s shortest album yet leaves little time for introspection, and the onslaught of successive uptempo tracks can be overwhelming. Although the album’s structure is consistent with the band’s vision of the gritty, fast-paced ideal of rock music, the addition of a few more lyrical melodies would help create balance without undermining their artistic vision.

But what better way to showcase the vitality and volatility of life than a good old-fashioned guitar solo? The years have yet to erode Green Day’s gift for pairing memorable lyrics with classic punk rock instrumentation — if anything, the band’s emotionally charged messages have never been more relevant. Although well into middle age, Armstrong and his bandmates, Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool, are far from growing old. As they’ve grown from breakout stars to political prophets, the trio continue to adapt their tunes to changing times and ideas. Green Day may be far from green, but their music is as fresh as ever.

—Staff Writer Clara V. Nguyen can be reached at clara.nguyen@thecrimson.com.

MusicArts