A Decade in Review: Comedy

Yeo-jeong Jo (center) stars as Park Yeon-kyo in "Parasite" (2019), directed by Bong Joon-ho.
Yeo-jeong Jo (center) stars as Park Yeon-kyo in "Parasite" (2019), directed by Bong Joon-ho. By Courtesy of NEON CJ Entertainment
By Lanz Aaron G. Tan, Crimson Staff Writer

Reflecting on the greatest comedy films of the last decade reminds us why we go to the cinema in the first place. We go to feel, to be moved, and perhaps that’s what makes comedies special: Audiences not only forget their problems with laughs but, while they are suspended in an illusory state, filmmakers may tackle poignant, often difficult, themes in a more palatable manner. The 2010s were rife with witty political satires and haunting black comedies — here are the very best of them.

(See: Part 1: Science Fiction, Part 2: Fantasy, and Part 3: Superheroes)

Honorable Mention: “The Disaster Artist” (2017), dir. James Franco
“I did not hit her, it’s not true! It’s bullshit, I did not hit her! I did not! Oh, hi Mark!”

10. “Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood” (2019), dir. Quentin Tarantino
“Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood” brings 60’s tinseltown fare to life with magnetic production design and unexpectedly restrained direction from Tarantino. The film features much of the acclaimed writer-director’s trademark style: He coaxes powerful performances from his actors, produces a killer finale that indulges in so much comedic violence it will send your ribs packed home in a take-out box, and, once again, douses his film with shots of women’s feet.

9. “Lady Bird” (2017), dir. Greta Gerwig
Greta Gerwig is a master of words, and her screenplay for “Lady Bird” proves as much — she has the ability to package dialogue in ways that preserve spontaneity. It’s a beautifully acted, irresistibly earnest, and moving depiction of a mother-daughter relationship. For her directorial efforts, Gerwig also became just the fifth female director to be recognized for a nomination at the Academy Awards.

8. “The Favourite” (2018), dir. Yorgos Lanthamos
Quirky, imaginative, and incredibly unique, Lanthamos’ “The Favourite” is a period piece like never seen or done before. With stunning production design, costumes, and innovative cinematography (achieved through distorted lenses), “The Favourite” is founded in beautiful production values, but it also features razor sharp wit, over-the-top characters, and impeccable timing. Lanthamos’ film uses black comedy to get audiences on board with an under-represented period in history and an unpredictable parable of power.

7. “Jojo Rabbit” (2019), dir. Taika Waititi
Ever wondered what World War II would look like through the eyes of a 10 year old Nazi fanatic with Adolf Hitler as an imaginary best friend? Or how a movie preaching tolerance and dealing with death, growing up, and unfair circumstances is handled by the director of the bombastic “Thor: Ragnarok”? Surprisingly, “Jojo Rabbit” manages to swing for all the risks and hit the mark. It’s somber, heartfelt, boasts an intimate score, and, most importantly, uses the ridiculous scenarios in the film to frame extremely effective comedy.

6. “The Death of Stalin” (2017) dir. Armando Iannuci
Laughable incompetence and unashamedly lobbying for political favoritism are front and center in Iannuci’s absurdist Soviet Union satire, “The Death of Stalin.” Iannuci’s film is gifted with a witty screenplay and pitch-perfect casting, which headlines Steve Buscemi as the bubbly Nikita Khrushchev, Simon Russel Beale as the manipulative Lavrentiy Beria, and Jeffrey Tambor as the mumbling Georgy Malenkov.

5. “The Big Short” (2015), dir. Adam McKay
McKay’s foray into more serious comedy after previously helming “Anchorman” and “Talladega Nights” was exactly what the writer-director needed. From characters routinely breaking the fourth wall to celebrity cameos explaining technical financial terms to blindingly fast editing that reels audiences in hook line and sinker, “The Big Short” is a comedy that feels effortlessly entertaining. Add to it an all-star cast, a powerful conclusion, and a poignant meditation on timely themes, and McKay’s comedy lingers long after the laughs subside.

4. “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (2014), dir. Wes Anderson
One should know what to expect from a Wes Anderson film at this point: deadpan humor, saturated colors, and lots of symmetry. But all those tropes line up perfectly in “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” a crime-comedy about a hotel concierge and his bell-boy protégé on a desperate quest to prove the concierge’s innocence when he's accused of murder. It might not wield the intelligent introspection on the level of some picks on this list, but “The Grand Budapest Hotel” is exactly what it sets out to be — sublime and fantastical Wes Anderson entertainment.

3. “Birdman” (2014), dir. Alejandro González Iñárritu
Before Sam Mendes made one-take films cool in 2019, Alejandro González Iñárritu made them cool in 2014 with “Birdman.” “Birdman” is so uncannily referential to the life of its central star, Michael Keaton, it could have easily been a biopic — an actor decides to risk it all to be re-embraced into the art world after making a name for himself in superhero films. It also stars Edward Norton in a supporting role as an actor so in love with his own artistic sensibilities he pulls a coup d'état (essentially Edward Norton). “Birdman” is beautifully shot and edited, backed by a rhythmic hypnotic score, and stuffed full of satirical black comedy.

2. “The Wolf of Wall Street” (2013), dir. Martin Scorsese
Excessive itself at 180 minutes, “The Wolf of Wall Street” is a film about excess, plunging into the vices of greed and avarice afoot in the world’s financial capital. “The Wolf of Wall Street” finds director Martin Scorsese revisiting familiar themes, but this time to surprisingly comedic effect. Terence Winter’s screenplay, adapted from the memoir of the same name by Jordan Belfort, can easily be branded as a “Goodfellas” wannabe, but “The Wolf of Wall Street” redeems itself as so much more through its comedy, which transpires naturally from the ludicrous scenarios on Wall Street. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are excellent together on screen, both screaming their way to Academy Award nominations.

1. “Parasite” (2019), dir. Bong Joon-ho
Tying together political satire, thriller, and social commentary — sometimes all at once — “Parasite” is unpredictable, captivating, and the epitome of what storytelling should mean and what cinema should strive to be. Bong Joon-ho is in complete control in this beautifully edited, streamlined masterpiece of a film that uses clever production design, an incredible ensemble cast, and a screenplay that just keeps you guessing. The beauty of “Parasite” lies in how it uses all its crafts to leave audiences feeling vulnerable, and it’s in that vulnerability that Bong Joon-ho lands his killer message.

—Staff writer Lanz Aaron G. Tan can be reached at lanzaaron.tan@thecrimson.com and on Twitter @LanzAaronGTan1.

FilmArts