Top 5 Fall Fashion Predictions (at Harvard and Beyond)

By Courtesy of Sergi Dolcet Escrig, Unsplash
By Marley E. Dias, Contributing Writer

After the humid and stylistically-confusing weather of summer’s end, fall has finally arrived. As the leaves turn, individuals add a new layer to their lightweight summer outfits and occasionally sift through messy drawers looking for a good long-sleeve. However, riding the highs of NYFW and an ever-quickening trend rotation, old and new trends are making their way back into the zeitgeist. So without further ado, here are some of the five fashion trends to plan for this autumn on campus and beyond.

5. Wide headbands

Although ear muffs had their moment last fall, it seems ear warmth may still be a priority. Channeling the spirit of the most stylish Disney Channel Original Movie, the Cheetah Girls (2003), anyone can rock this look with 2000s kid pride. Wide, ear-covering headbands are on the rise as a perfect complement to the Juicy tracksuit resurgence of the past two years. Cold weather is here and difficult to ignore, so we can expect to see crochet, fuzzy, and even printed versions of this head accessory this fall.

4. Bright knits and mohair

The Folklore era may be over, but knits remain a staple trend of every autumn. The popular Heavn by Marc Jacobs campaign features pop star Doja Cat and Tik Tok influencers alike in bright pinks, blues, and orange knits for their Fall 2022 collection. This popularity also applied to the Valentino PP Pink Collection which has been sported by celebrities like Zendaya, Dua Lipa, and Florence Pugh. The collection showcases monochromatic boxy and oversized blazers, knitwear, and platform shoes. As more accessible brands like ASOS and Urban Outfitters mimic these designer looks, prepare to buy a more vibrant staple sweater or cardigan.

3. Vests

Without fail, vests always weasel their way into the fall fashion trend cycle. Whether denim, leather, or knit, vests are a clever layer that can add some uniqueness to any outfit. Kendall Jenner sports this look as a signature casual and comfy choice, so anticipate an empty vest section at the thrift store as hordes of copycats make their way through the aisles. For Harvard students, a sweater vest could be the perfect multipurpose accessory: great for their first New England fall Instagram post and also a quick elevated look for interviews and meetings.

2. Cowboy™

“The Cowboy” is here to stay. For those with an eye for Western aesthetics, this might mean donning just the boots or a more simple denim-on-denim look. Chunky belts, embellished with gold and warm-toned accents, provide a sneaky hint of cowboy that will persist throughout the fall. The bravest fashion soldiers may even find a fringe jacket as the ultimate cowboy statement piece while others may simply opt to wear a flannel. Harvard students and beyond may tap into their inner Dolly Parton, Billy Ray Cyrus, or even Lil Nas X this autumn.

1. Maxi + Dr. Martens combo

There is no way to write about fashion, especially for Gen Z, without acknowledging one trend that always reigns supreme. The classic Dr. Martens boot and skirt combination transforms itself based on the season, and it's now fall’s turn to embrace this staple look. Instead of summer’s crochet, floral, and linen long skirts, expect to see leather, denim and even cargo midi and maxi skirts. Dr. Martens have already secured their place in the closet of most Tik Tok users and paired with pointelle and sheer printed socks for a delicate compliment to the bulkiness of the classic cold weather shoe. The yard has already seen the likes of Chelsea, Oxford, and platform Docs so anticipate many more of your peers stomping their way to class.

ArtsCulture