‘My 21st Century Blues’ Album Review: RAYE Brings a New Level of Artistry to the Industry

4 Stars

"My 21st Century Blues" was released by RAYE on Feb 3. 2023.
"My 21st Century Blues" was released by RAYE on Feb 3. 2023. By Courtesy of Human Re Sources
By Camilla J. Martinez, Contributing Writer

British singer-songwriter RAYE’s debut album “My 21st Century Blues” arrives just months after her chart-topping single “Escapism.” Though this is her first album, she is in no way new to the music industry. Signed to Polydor Records from 2014 to 2021, she wrote tracks for Beyoncé, Ellie Goulding, and John Legend, also collaborating with EDM artists like David Guetta and Joel Corry. Newly independent from her label, RAYE is now taking advantage of her newfound creative control to craft the music she wants to make. As she fuses elements of blues and synth-pop with her own style, RAYE channels her rage, trauma, and frustrations into the candid and beautifully juxtaposed record.

The album begins with “Introduction.,” which welcomes listeners to a 21st-century blues club and leads into her next track “Oscar Winning Tears.” A powerful ballad that escalates to a belt, RAYE’s “Oscar Winning Tears.” describes a manipulative relationship that she refuses to tolerate any longer. Though intended for chronological listening, the album is a compilation of the songs RAYE has wanted to release over the years and thus lacks a straightforward storyline.

Her lead single “Hard Out Here.,” first released in June 2022, is RAYE’s first independent release after leaving her previous label, Polydor Records. She channels her rage as the song escalates into a condemnation of male executives within the music industry with the line “All the white men CEOs, fuck your privilege / Get your pink chubby hands off my mouth, fuck you think this is?” Referencing how she had been silenced by her previous record label and the instances of sexual assault she experienced, RAYE reclaims her name with “Hard Out Here.,” “Ice Cream Man.,” and “Black Mascara.”

“My 21st Century Blues” covers a huge scope of contemporary dilemmas like the climate crisis and body image with “Environmental Anxiety.” and “Body Dysmorphia.” The busy humming at the start of “Environmental Anxiety.” foreshadows the chaotic lyrics, which spiral into a frenzy of worries that RAYE voices. The song’s lyrics are quite literally anxiety-inducing as RAYE runs through lists of uncontrollable matters like the state of the climate crisis, the overconsumption of social media, and the selection of world leaders.

“Escapism.,” featuring a verse by 070 Shake, is undoubtedly the highlight of this album. With dark, sultry lyrics set to a catchy beat, the song describes the descent into a cycle of alcoholism, drug abuse, and meaningless sex to deal with heartbreak. Her chorus echoes, “I don’t wanna feel how I did last night / Doctor, doctor, anything, please / Doctor, doctor, have mercy on me / You’re asking for my symptoms, doctor, I don’t wanna feel” as she begs her doctor for medications that will numb her feelings.

The album comes to a close with “Fin.” — a beautiful tribute to those who contributed to the creation of “My 21st Century Blues.” This album marks RAYE’s first independent release with producer Mike Sabath and features both British R&B singer Mahalia and 070 Shake.

“My 21st Century Blues'' brings a refreshing energy to the music scene with RAYE’s juxtaposition of catchy, upbeat dance tracks with raw, emotional lyrics. With its tracks already trending on platforms like TikTok, the album marks a promising start to RAYE’s independent music career.

MusicArts