The Game is Coming! But Big-Time Tailgates Aren't

By Madeleine Smith, Crimson Staff Writer

The countdown to The Game can officially begin. In just six days, the Crimson football team will take to the field at Harvard Stadium to play Yale in the last game of the season.

Although yesterday’s loss puts the Crimson out of the running for the Ivy League Championship, the game, fueled by hundreds of years of rivalry, is still sure to be exciting.

And while we hope we can say the same for the tailgate, it seems like the Harvard administration is doing anything it can to stifle the student tradition that necessarily accompanies any big collegiate football matchup.

Along with Harvard Athletics’ unwavering ban on kegs and other “items that promote the rapid consumption of alcohol,” various clubs and social groups have reportedly received emails in the past few weeks warning them of serious consequences for any violations of tailgating regulations.

The crackdown is a far cry from just a few years ago in 2004, when ESPN apparently televised a tailgate party as part of its football coverage.

But then again, that was also the year of the infamous “We Suck” prank, so maybe now we’re better off than we think.

FootballSports Blog