Men's Squash Kicks Off Season

By Catherine E. Coppinger, Crimson Staff Writer

This weekend, there’s even more to be excited about than just the Harvard/Yale football game, as the Crimson men’s squash team officially begins its 2010-11 campaign with two important tests at home.

Tonight, Harvard will take on Brown in its first non-scrimmage Ivy League matchup of the year. And, after the madness of tomorrow's football extravaganza, the Crimson will conclude a jam-packed sports weekend with a match against Williams on Sunday.

These first two contests are key for Harvard, as the Crimson attempts to improve upon last year’s solid fifth-place finish at the CSA National Team Championships. Though Harvard will miss reigning CSA individual champion Colin West ’10 and his talented classmates, a cohesive mixture of 11 upperclassmen and six freshmen looks to compete with the top teams in the nation this season.

One week ago, at the annual Ivy League Scrimmages, the Crimson defeated Princeton, 5-4, before losing to the Bulldogs by a score of 8-1 in the final round of the preseason tournament. Though a loss to Yale is always disappointing, the early season victory against the Tigers bodes well for Harvard in Ivy League competition.

Returners for the Crimson, including senior Richard Hill, sophomore Zeke Scherl, captain J. Reed Endresen, and sophomore Jason Michas—No. 2-5 respectively last season—will likely anchor the team in its quest to be the best in the league.

Men's SquashSports Blog