Weekend Preview: Senior Celebrations in Store

By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

Have you gotten your Harvard-Yale ticket yet? Well, you better go to the Murr Center soon if you haven’t, because tomorrow is the last day to pick up free tickets. And while you’re down by the river, you can check out these exciting matchups happening at home this weekend.

After taming the Tigers and taking down the Big Green the last two weekends, the Harvard football team takes on the Columbia Lions. Now 5-2 for the season, the men return home after two games on the road for the matchup tomorrow at noon. In last year’s meeting, Harvard dominated the match, scoring 14 points in the first six minutes of the game. The Crimson extended the lead to 34-0 in the fourth quarter, and Harvard won the game, 34-14. This will be the 69th meeting between the teams, with Harvard leading 53-14-1.

If you haven’t seen a soccer match, this is your last chance! The men’s and women’s soccer squads both take on Columbia at Ohiri Field on Senior Day tomorrow for the last home matches of the season. Currently on a three-game losing streak, the men’s team looks to break out of its slump against the Lions. Last season, Harvard scored a 2-1 victory against Columbia in overtime. The women’s squad also lost its match last weekend to Dartmouth but owns a 7-7-1 record. Harvard holds a 20-3-1 record over the Lions and has won the last two meetings, both 2-1 overtime decisions. The women play at 11 a.m. and the men play right after at 1:30 p.m.

The men’s ice hockey team kicks off its regular season this weekend, playing against Union tonight at 7 p.m. at the Bright Hockey Arena and Rensselaer tomorrow night at the same time and place. The men faced the Swedish National Under-20 team on Monday, but lost the scrimmage, 2-1. And for all the Pfoho students, tonight is Pfoho night, with the first 250 students getting free t-shirts!

The women’s ice hockey team takes on Cornell and Colgate tonight and tomorrow afternoon on the road. The women have played two conference matches so far and hold a 1-0-1 record for the season. The Big Red holds a No. 2 ranking nationally and beat Harvard in the NCAA quarterfinals last year, so the women will have to step up their game to take down the No. 2 squad.

In its last match of the season, the field hockey team takes on Columbia at home tomorrow at 1 p.m. The women are currently on an eight-game losing streak but have this last chance at redemption and look to end the season on a good note. The Crimson lost to the Lions last season, but it was close. Columbia won the match in overtime, 2-1.

The women’s volleyball team hits the road for two conferences matches against Brown tonight and Yale tomorrow night. The women dropped a tight five-set match to Columbia last weekend, but won the two games before the loss. One of those wins was a 3-1 victory over Brown at home, but the squad dropped a 3-1 game to Yale earlier in the season.

Finally, there are some big tournaments happening this weekend, as one team looks to extend its season by moving on and two teams wrap up their individual seasons. The men’s water polo team competes in the CWPA Northern Division Championship, hoping to earn a spot in the CWPA Eastern Championships. The men’s tennis squad travels to Flushing Meadows, N.Y., the site of the US Open, for the ITA Indoor National Championships. Finally, the women’s team competes at home this weekend in the Harvard Invitational.

Sports Blog