Big Red's Steve Donahue Headed to Boston College

Coach Steve Donahue has led the Cornell Big Red to three straight Ivy titles. He was hired today to become BC's new basketball coach.
By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

Cornell’s Steve Donahue will be the new men’s basketball coach at Boston College, according to multiple sources.

Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com first reported this morning that Donahue, who during a ten-year tenure in Ithaca had taken the Big Red to three consecutive NCAA tournaments—including the Sweet 16 this year—was chosen to replace Al Skinner at BC.

Skinner’s former assistants Ed Cooley, now coaching at Fairfield, and Bill Coen, the coach at Northeastern, were thought to be the other finalists for the job.

BC will hold a press conference to introduce Donahue tomorrow afternoon. He had interviewed with athletic director Gene DeFilippo last Wednesday and was scheduled to meet with the university president today.

Cornell senior Jon Jaques acknowledged the news, stating on Twitter: “The Captain is moving on...sad day for Cornell basketball, but BC could not have picked a better man for the job.”

And according to Andy Katz of ESPN, “Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach.”

Men's BasketballSports Blog