Brown Fans Turn Tide

By B. Marjorie Gullick, Crimson Staff Writer

Winning football games is undoubtedly a product of practice, discipline, scouting, and skill, but after traveling to Brown for the game last weekend, I have a new appreciation for another powerful contributor to strong play: fandom. Under the temporary lights of Brown Stadium, 17,360 fans filled the seats, creating an atmosphere that felt very collegiatea—a rare feat in Ivy League athletics.

“I can’t tell you what it meant to have so many people in the stands,” Bears coach Phil Estes said. “To turn around and see what we saw...[It] really got the adrenaline going, and I think the team fed off of that.”

Brown certainly responded to the enthusiasm of its fan base, which, besides heckling Harvard, stood behind its own for touchdowns, for sacks, and for mistakes. The 29-14 drubbing came not only from the athletes, but also from their extended team in the stadium seats.

Perhaps this should be a wakeup call to the Harvard community to do our part in helping our own teams to victory. The impact is perceptible if not profound, and when the Crimson wins, we all win.

FootballSports Blog