Dinwiddie To Visit Cambridge

By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

Another high-level men’s basketball prospect has Harvard in his sights. Spencer Dinwiddie, a senior at Taft High School (Woodland Hills, Calif.) appears to be very interested in the Crimson—and the feeling is certainly mutual.

The 6’4.5”, 175-lb. point guard told The Crimson yesterday that his final seven schools are Santa Clara, Harvard, Oregon, Colorado, Georgetown, UNLV, and Stanford. He currently holds offers from all of them except for Georgetown.

Dinwiddie is rated a four-star recruit by ESPN and No. 29 at his position in the nation by Scout. Named the MVP of the Adidas Super 64 tournament in late July, Dinwiddie is ranked as the No. 8 player in the state of California by Cali High Sports, which called him “the best passer on the West Coast.”

Carrying an overall core GPA of 3.2 and an 1800 on the SAT, Dinwiddie is giving Harvard a serious look, for a number of reasons.

“I definitely have the best relationship with the Harvard coaches out of all of them,” he said. “[Assistant coach Yanni Hufnagel] and Coach [Tommy] Amaker have been very diligent in my recruitment. I’ve kind of grown attached to them, so it’ll be hard not to choose them. I also think the way they try to get up and down fits my style. And they say if I work hard, playing time will be there, and I’ll have the opportunity to start by the end of freshman year.”

Nor is he worried about Harvard’s less-than-impressive basketball history. “I feel if I go to Harvard, my job is to win for them and make them one of the better schools in the country,” Dinwiddie said.

Though his strong performance this summer seems to have driven his stock upward, Dinwiddie noted that he wants to reward loyalty.

“I’m trying to stay with the group that’s been recruiting me the longest and hardest, and has shown the most sincere interest,” he said.

Dinwiddie said he plans to sign during the early signing period in November.

“Oregon and Harvard were kind of my leaders, so I wanted to make sure I got those visits in. I will probably take three to five [visits],” Dinwiddie said.

The senior standout will visit Harvard next weekend, along with fellow highly-touted recruits Andre Hollins and Kenyatta Smith.

Men's BasketballSports Blog