The Full-Court Press: Baba Omosegbon '12

By Alex Sopko, Crimson Staff Writer

Few people can pronounce his last name, but that doesn’t really matter since #6 of the men’s soccer team rarely hears the loud “BA-BA”s anyways. He’s too much in the zone. Which is why when junior Baba Omosegbon hits the field, teams watch out for the guy who could-have, maybe, hypothetically, perhaps kneed another player in the face, as he explains in this exclusive interview. Every week, The Full-Court Press will give you the sort of personal scoop that you’re not likely to hear at a typical press conference.

Name: Baba Omosegbon

Year: 2012

Position: Defender

Stats: Coming into Harvard with an impressive resume, Baba started freshman year as a dominant force, scoring three goals in his first collegiate season. Starting 17 games his sophomore year, the defender still managed to see the other half of the field, taking shots against soccer powerhouses Maryland and Connecticut, and helping the Crimson claim another Ivy League championship.

1.Typical pre-game meal.

Pasta, grilled chicken, salad, and fruit to eat; "Hulk" powerade (blue and yellow mixed) to drink.

2. List four songs you listen to before games to get pumped up.

I usually just shuffle from my recently played playlist, although one song I listen to and sing aloud before every game (with Brian Rogers) is "Paranoid" by Kanye West. Shout out to Gucci Mane (BURR)

3. Favorite team to play against and why?

Any Ivy game but most notably Brown because it is always a heated contest and we probably like them the least—most apparent by my red card in last year's edition (which shouldn't have been a red card, by the way).

4. Most ridiculous thing that has taken place in your team's locker room.

What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.

5. Most embarrassing moment you've had on the court.

Well, we play soccer on a field (pitch), but probably the aforementioned red card incident: in the moment, I was going in for a 50/50 challenge with the goalie, who I happened to know from high school, and the referee claimed that I deliberately went in late to injure him (preposterous!). Upon review of the incident at team video, I concede that it may have been more like 40/60 for him, but contrary to popular belief, I never kneed him in the face.

6. Animal that best represents your style of play and why.

Probably a panther, not only because my teammates in high school called me one, but also because they are laid back and poised, ready for the next move.

7. Most ridiculous thing you have heard a fan yell at a game you were playing in.

Apart from the various butcherings of my name, there hasn't really been one particular thing that stands out to me. I can't hear what people say most of the time because I'm too much in the ZONE.

8. If you could play for another sports team at Harvard, which would it be and why?

Tough question. Probably Ice Hockey because skating adds another dimension, and also because NHL '10 is my second favorite Xbox game behind FIFA '10. According to my parents, it was the first sport I ever tried during our short stay in Canada.

9. Position you would play in Quidditch.

After looking up the positions on Wikipedia, I would probably be a Beater or Chaser. Beater because you get some sort of protection against those ridiculous Bludgers and Chaser because they score the goals.

10. If you could go on a date with any professional athlete, who would it be and where would you take him/her?

Another tough question. Probably Danica Patrick after the Indy 500 so I wouldn't have to go very far. I would take her to Steak n' Shake because they have 4 meals under $4. Best sandwich = Frisco Melt.

Men's SoccerSports Blog