Crimson Crossovers: Brandyn Curry and Derek Fisher

To which NBA point guard is Harvard junior Brandyn Curry most similar?
By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. On Dec. 25, we all shared in a gift that is way better than any Christmas sweater or box of chocolates. Yep, professional basketball is back. To ring in the good times, we at The Back Page have set out to find the best NBA match for several of Harvard’s own ballers. Which NBA player is most like each Crimson star? Keep reading to find out.

Brandyn Curry - 6.7 PPG, 4.8 Assists, 1.9 Rebounds, 2.1 steals (2011-2012 season)

The North Carolina native was recruited for his poise and leadership and was ranked as the second best high school point guard in the state behind some guy named John Wall. Suiting up for the Crimson for the first time in 2009, Curry made an immediate impact, taking home two Ivy League Rookie of the Week awards.

So far this season, Curry, now a junior, has continued his ascent. At November’s Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, Curry’s leadership was lauded by Harvard coach Tommy Amaker. The point guard shut down Utah’s biggest offensive threat in the opening round and then hit a crucial three-pointer to ice a close contest against then-No.22 Florida State. So which professional comparison did that performance earn him?

Derek Fisher, L.A. Lakers – 6.8 PPG, 2.7 Assists, 1.9 Rebounds, 1.2 steals (2010-2011 season)

In his 16th year in the NBA, Derek Fisher is far from a playmaker, and, like Curry, he has never been the main scoring threat on the floor for his team. Neither Fisher nor Curry has an impressive field goal percentage by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, both point guards always come up big in the most pressure-packed spots and can be counted on to make the smart play. Fisher also has shown the ability to play physical defense although he isn’t the most athletically gifted.

Honorable Mention: Kyle Lowry (HOU)

Check back tomorrow for the next Crimson Crossover.

Men's Basketball