Harvard Athletes Rack Up Recent Ancient Eight Honors

By Catherine E. Coppinger, Crimson Staff Writer

Though White Panda, Sam Adams, and Far East Movement provided ample distraction for Harvard students on Sunday, a different trio also impressed in Cambridge this past week. Three Crimson athletes outperformed the competition and took home All-Ivy League weekly honors, as was announced by league officials earlier today.

Freshman outfielder Jack Colton was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Week after hitting .643 in four contests against Brown. The Harvard baseball team overcame a 2-0 deficit in games to split the series, winning back-to-back contests on Sunday over the Bears and snapping a four game losing streak. Colton played a big role in these victories, going 9-for-14 from the plate, earning four RBI, and scoring two runs of his own over the course of four games this weekend. But the Crimson couldn’t hold onto the momentum, dropping two games to Bryant yesterday.

A Harvard rookie also dominated on the softball diamond, as freshman third baseman Kasey Lange took home Ancient Eight Player and Rookie of the Week honors. Lange batted .591—including three home runs in a doubleheader against Holy Cross—and committed zero errors, starting each of this week’s seven games. The rookie has earned at least one RBI in the Crimson’s last seven games.

In women’s lacrosse, sophomore midfielder Jennifer VanderMuelen earned Offensive Player of the Week accolades after an impressive seven-goal, 17-point effort over two games. VanderMuelen netted four against No. 12 Princeton, as Harvard stunned the Tigers, 9-8.  The sophomore has scored in every game of her college career so far and is currently on a 26-game scoring streak.

BaseballWomen's LacrosseSoftballSports Blog