Zych Attracts NFL Interest

By E. Benjamin Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite the lockout in the NFL, the draft is still scheduled to start April 28, and scouting remains active into the last few weeks before the 2011 amateur selection.

After a stellar senior season, captain defensive back Collin Zych has attracted the attention of a few NFL teams, according to Yahoo! Sports. The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Dallas Cowboys are both interested in the All-Ivy honoree, and Zych is reported to have pre-draft visits lined up with the two teams.

In the three seasons during which he played, Zych registered 224 tackles and six interceptions, and was named to the All- New England FCS team in addition to his All-Ivy recognition after his senior year. He led the Crimson in interceptions, and was tied for first on the team in tackles with teammate Nick Hasselberg.

The Texas native earned several accolades before the start of his senior season as well, including Ivy League Preseason Player of the Year and a spot on the preseason All-America team.

But if recent history is any indication, Zych has an uphill battle on the road to the NFL.

Harvard only has four players currently under contract with NFL teams, three of whom—including most notably quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05—see regular playing time. Fitzpatrick started for the Bills last year, throwing for 3000 yards and 23 touchdowns.

If he is drafted, he’ll also find himself in a professional football limbo—the draftees aren’t allowed to negotiate contracts after the expiration of the CBA.

The undrafted players will be in an even messier situation, as teams won’t even be able to talk to individuals who aren’t selected at the end of the month. Either way, though he looks promising as a prospect, Zych’s career is very much up in the air.

FootballSports Blog