Crimson Crossovers: Kyle Casey and Lamar Odom

To which NBA player is junior Kyle Casey most similar?
By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. On Dec. 25, we all shared in a gift that is way better than any Christmas sweater or box of chocolates. Yep, professional basketball is back. To ring in the good times, we at The Back Page have set out to find the best NBA match for several of Harvard’s own ballers. Which NBA player is most like each Crimson star? Keep reading to find out.

Kyle Casey — 10.7 PPG, 51.1% FG-percentage, 5.7 rebounds (2011-2012 season)

The 6’7’’, 225-pounder isn’t a typical small forward or power forward, but falls somewhere in between. He has the ability to knock down an open three, make a play at the rim, or pull up for a jump shot anywhere in between. Casey has also shown his talent down on the block where he can post up and make the right move at the right time.

As a junior, Casey is second on the Crimson in shot attempts, averaging 7.7 per game, but he has earned his turn with the ball. Against Boston University on Dec. 10, Casey had his first 20-point outing of the year after making all five of his free throws and cashing in on an open three-pointer. He added nine rebounds in the victory. Who in the NBA can match the numerous weapons Casey wields?

Lamar Odom, Dallas Mavericks — 14.4 PPG, 53.0% FG-percentage, 8.7 rebounds (2010-2011 season)

While Odom stands three inches taller than Casey, he has also shined in moments at small forward, power forward, and even center. An athletically gifted player with a decent three-point stroke, Odom has never been able to elevate to superstar status, but is an important role player with a penchant to make a remarkable play or two every game.

Honorable Mentions: Paul Millsap (UTAH), Rudy Gay (MEM), Derrick Williams (MIN)

Check back tomorrow for the next Crimson Crossover.

Men's BasketballSports Blog