The Inside Scoop on Yale Basketball

By Martin Kessler, Crimson Staff Writer

With the Harvard men’s basketball team traveling to New Haven Friday night to take on the Bulldogs in what has been billed as the Ivy League’s premier matchup, we caught up with The Yale Daily News’ Charles Condro to get the inside scoop on Yale basketball. Check out what Condro had to say below:

The Harvard Crimson: What can Harvard expect from Yale this Friday?

Charles Condro: First of all, Harvard can expect to be challenged defensively. Yale has the Twin Towers in Greg Mangano '12 and Jeremiah Kreisberg '14. The Crimson just isn't as vertically gifted as the Bulldogs. On the other end of the height spectrum, guard Austin Morgan '13 can shoot the lights out. When the Elis play their best basketball they can compete with anyone, but they do have a tendency to look sluggish in the opening minutes of halves.

THC: Is Greg Mangano a legitimate NBA prospect?

CC: If you watch the NBA draft you know that a lot of people get drafted for their physical gifts rather than their skill set (ask Scottie Reynolds). Mangano has NBA height (6'10") that makes him an attractive prospect. He is a light 240lbs though, but you can add muscle whereas you can't make yourself taller. He is lanky but plays strong around the rim, has a knack for rebounding and NBA range from beyond the arc. Possibly the best compliment he got was from Florida coach Billy Donovan when he called him "awkward." He's no Dirk, but he gets his shot off in the same awkward, unblockable, frustrating way. Look for him to come off the board late in the second round, and, even if he doesn't, he will get some attention as an undrafted free agent.

THC: What should Harvard students traveling to New Haven for the game look out for on Friday night? Is Toad's throwing down?

CC: Any Crimson ladies looking for a good time can contact me personally. The 10,000 boys of Harvard should go here. Yalies, however, will be throwing down on the court in the Lee Amphitheater after the self-proclaimed "Goon Squad" restores order to the Ancient Eight.

THC: Greg Mangano and Austin Morgan obviously get a lot of attention, and it seems like Reggie Willhite flies under the radar a little bit. What does Willhite bring to the team?

CC: First of all, Willhite brings style (respect the mohawk). On the court he is a lockdown defender (t-27 nationwide in steals). Offensively he can use his strength and quickness to attack the rim, and his shot improved after working with Grant Hill and Christian Laettner this summer. Most importantly, he can spark the team and ignite a run: well-timed steals that lead to breakaway slams in crunch time are a Willhite trademark.

THC: Now that nearly half of Yale's football coaching staff is from Harvard, do you think you guys can stop the five-game losing streak next year?

CC: I'm not sure if they teach counting up there in Cambridge, but Yale still leads overall 65-55-8, and 65>55. While Reno, Conlin, Wilmot and Barber have all seen the light and the truth, Yale students consoled themselves after this year's disaster by remembering that they actually get to enjoy their college experience, rather than having to spend four years in a library with a bunch of Harvard students. Overall, I think it's safe to say that Reno will bring a W back to New Haven (we're bound to win one eventually).

THC: We've heard a lot about New Haven's pizza. Where is the best spot to get a slice late night?

CC: Forget pizza, get Wenzels. Seriously though, the pizza is good. Yorkside and A1 are open late, and reportedly taste good even when you're sober. The fancier pizza parlors like Pepe's and Bar are excellent, but they have standards for their customers.

THC: Final score prediction:

CC: Bluntly, the key is for Yale to put the ball in the basket. The Crimson defense has somehow managed to be fourth in the nation in points against per game despite being made up entirely of Harvard students. With that said, I believe (with some bias) that Yale will be able to break 60 points and beat Harvard, 63-58. The Bulldogs have the ability to do it; the question is whether or not they will be able to string together two solid halves and seal the deal.

Men's BasketballSports Blog