Crimson Crossovers: Keith Wright and Al Jefferson

To which NBA player is Keith Wright most similar?
By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. On Dec. 25, we all shared in a gift that is way better than any Christmas sweater or box of chocolates. Yep, professional basketball is back. To ring in the good times, we at The Back Page have set out to find the best NBA match for several of Harvard’s own ballers. Which NBA player is most like each Crimson star? Keep reading to find out.

Keith Wright – 10.9 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 1.4 BPG (2011-2012 season)

Wright currently ranks second in Crimson history for career blocks with 126. The forward is only behind Brian Cusworth '07 who racked up 147. Wright is also second for most blocks in a season, a category in which his 2010-11 mark of 54 comes only five shy of the current record, set by Brian Banks in 1978. This season, Wright leads the team with an average of 1.4 blocks per game.

In another facet of his game, Wright dominates both the offensive and defensive glass. In fact, only one other Harvard player comes within four rebounds of Wright’s average of 7.4 per game (Kyle Casey with 5.9). Last year, Wright’s 8.3 rebounds per game not only led the Crimson, but earned him second place in the Ivy League. Much of this success can be attributed to his 6’8, 240 pound frame—a size that allows him to establish a strong presence down low. Which NBA player possesses Wright’s large frame and ability to block shots and rebound?

Al Jefferson – 15.9 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 1.4 BPG (Career)

Like Wright, Al Jefferson has the ability to turn shots away. The 2010-11 NBA season was his most successful, as the NBA vet totaled 153 blocked shots in 82 regular season contests. And on the boards, Jefferson has never averaged less than 9.3 rebounds per game since his third year in the league. Jefferson’s ability to impact others’ shots and grab boards has been largely aided by his 7’3 wingspan. While at 289 pounds he is not the quickest on the floor, his huge build almost inherently takes a toll on the opposing players.

One last similarity between the two forwards is their high field goal percentages. Both shoot over 50 percent from the field, forcing opposing defenses to collapse on them in the paint. This opens up the court for their teammates, and ultimately enables them to do what they do best: use their size, hands, and power to control the game.

Through boards, blocks, and bulk, Harvard’s Keith Wright and seven-year NBA veteran Al Jefferson have much in common. Other than the fact that they are each from the South, both players display moves and attitudes on both ends of the court that show their respective aggressive mindsets.

Runners-up: DeAndre Jordan, Samuel Dalembert, Kevin McHale (for the ’80’s fans)

Check back tomorrow for the next Crimson Crossover.

Men's BasketballSports Blog