Athlete of the Week: Runners Up

Senior quarterback Colton Chapple threw for 362 yards and four touchdowns in a key Ivy contest against Cornell in front of 7,112 fans at Harvard Stadium. The Crimson football team earned a No. 21/22 national ranking after this weekend’s dominant performance.
By Samantha Lin, Contributing Writer

While football standout Andrew Berg may have snagged The Crimson’s Athlete of the Week award, three other Harvard athletes’ stellar performances during this past seven days have earned them recognition as well.

HAI-LI KONG, WOMEN’S TENNIS

At the Tribe Invitational, the freshman stayed flawless in her singles play all weekend, winning the Cherie Dow Singles Flight by claiming two sets over Penn’s Alex Ion, 6-1, 6-0. Kong, who went 3-0 en route to her victory, did not drop a set as she defeated opponents from VCU and Kansas in the semifinals and quarterfinals, respectively. Kong also competed with doubles partner Natalie Blosser to take second in the Katrin Guenther Doubles Flight, losing only to her fellow Crimson teammates Sylvia Li and Amanda Lin.

COLTON CHAPPLE, FOOTBALL

Chapple makes his second consecutive appearance on The Crimson’s AOTW Runners-Up list, while also receiving his second-straight Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week award. The senior started Saturday’s game perfectly, completing his first twelve pass attempts. Chapple maintained his high level of performance throughout the contest, as he passed for a total of 362 yards and four passing touchdowns, three more touchdowns than highly-touted sameCornell quarterback Jeff Mathews threw for in the  game. Chapple, who is currently ranked No. 2 in the nation in passing efficiency, also showed off his ground skills, running for 53 yards and adding a rushing touchdown for good measure. With Chapple at the helm, the Crimson has the longest winning streak in Division I, having won its last 13 games.

NOAH HARRISON, MEN’S WATER POLO

Despite the men’s water polo team dropping all five of their games this weekend, the explosive freshman still managed to turn in outstanding performances throughout. In the contest against Pomona-Pitzer, Harrison led the Crimson with a career high of six goals, giving Harvard the chance for victory with a goal late in the third period, though the Sagehens would eventually prevail. Against No. 2 UC Santa Barbara two days later, Harrison tallied another four goals and showed off his defensive prowess, recording a career-high five defensive steals.

Sports Blog