Alumni Tracker: Fitzpatrick's Bills Fall, Lin Hits the Big Screen

By David Freed, Contributing Writer

After leading for the entire fourth quarter, Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05 and the Buffalo Bills fell Sunday to the Tennessee Titans when Matt Hasselbeck and Nate Washington connected on a 15-yard strike on fourth down with just over a minute to go.

On the ensuing drive, the Amish Rifle went two for four but was unable to connect with Steve Johnson on fourth down on a day when he threw for 225 yards and three more touchdowns (his twelve TDs on the season are tied for fifth in the NFL).

The loss dropped the Bills a game back of the Patriots and with the next two games on the road in Houston and Foxborough, Buffalo’s road will only get tougher.

In his first couple preseason games as a Rocket, Jeremy Lin ’10 has struggled from the field, shooting the ball at a clip of 25 percent and averaging a shade under six points per game. But the former Harvard co-captain is rehabbing from a knee injury that may be limiting his explosiveness and is adjusting to playing with a number of NBA newcomers. Lin has also made adjustments off the court, recently starring in his first commercial with Volvo.

Although he is on the couch preparing to watch the World Series, former Harvard pitcher Frank Herrmann ’06 quietly had the best season of his career in 2012 for the Cleveland Indians. Herrmann was drafted by the Cleveland Indians after his junior year at Harvard but returned to school during the offseason to get his degree in economics.

Herrmann was called up for the first time on June 4, 2010 and has a career ERA of 4.26. This year, Herrmann posted a 2.33 ERA in 19.1 innings on a one-year, $480,000 contract. He had a 1.38 ERA in ten September appearances and averaged 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings—more than Matt Cain, C.J. Wilson, and Johnny Cueto. Herrmann is a free agent this offseason.

BaseballMen's BasketballFootballSports Blog