Lin's Squad Wins Rising-Star Game

By Daniel A. Grafstein, Crimson Staff Writer

Three weeks ago, nobody would have imagined this. But after dazzLINg fans at the world’s most famous arena, a Harvard grad played his way onto the national spotlight during all-star weekend.

With basketball fandom’s attention turned to one game, the stage was set for Jeremy Lin ’ 10 to take on the NBA’s most promising talents in Friday night’s BBVA Rising Star Challenge.

The event that traditionally pits rookies against sophomores got a new look this year, as the NBA decided to change to a draft format. Team Shaq’s Lin, drafted third overall, was unable to find his groove in the 9 p.m EST start in Orlando’s Amway Center.

Lin did not get the time he is used to of late, in part due to the fact that Team Shaq carried five point guards on the roster. In his nine minutes, he scored two points, registered an assist and committed a turnover.

Coming off two 30-minute games on back-to-back nights, the reduced time was a welcomed break for the sophomore. But the news wasn’t all bad for the Knicks. Landry Fields, the sophomore out of Stanford, had a productive night for Team Shaq. He went 8-12 from the floor in 18 minutes of play.

Despite the reduced role, Lin could not escape the media. Late in the fourth quarter, Marv Albert approached Lin about his darling status. During the conversation, Lin revealed he and Shumpert’s botched dunk contest plans. Shumpert, who will be held out of the contest with a knee injury, would have attempted a windmill over a couch on the ball.

Men's Basketball