Men's Hockey's Grimshaw Impresses in Debut with Minor League Squad

Captain defenseman Ryan Grimshaw impressed in his first outing with the Trenton Titans, a minor league hockey team associated with the Philadelphia Flyers.
By Robert S Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

Senior forward Alex Killorn isn’t the men’s hockey team’s only senior skater already making moves from the confines of Cambridge to the professional circuit.

Nine days after Killorn signed a two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning, captain defenseman Ryan Grimshaw made his pro debut for the Trenton Titans, a minor league hockey team in the ECHL, on Mar. 28. Grimshaw tallied four of the Titan’s 31 shots in a 2-1 overtime loss to the Elmira Jackals.

“I was pleased with how Grimshaw played,” Titans coach Vance Williams told The Trentonian after the contest. “He does things hard, he’s got urgency in his game, he’s got readiness. He’s engaging, which I like as a defenseman.”

Grimshaw suited up again for the last-place Titans on Friday night. The former Harvard captain couldn’t prevent another loss. This time, Trenton fell to the Wheeling Nailers, 4-1.

The Titans, affiliated with the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers, play in the ECHL, a league considered to be one tier below the American Hockey League in prestige and two below the NHL.

Unlike Grimshaw, Killorn kicked off his professional career in the AHL with the Norfolk Admirals, the Lightning’s minor league affiliate. The former Crimson standout has scored a goal and notched an assist in his first four games.

Men's Ice Hockey