Liverpool To Face AS Roma at Fenway Park

By Oluwatoni A. Campbell, Crimson Staff Writer

After last summer's visit of English football powerhouse Manchester United, Harvard will once again be graced by the presence of an esteemed member of the English premiership, this time by Liverpool Football Club. Liverpool Football Club will travel to North America this summer for a pre-season tour, which will feature a match against Italian side AS Roma in Boston at Fenway Park for the 100-year celebration of the baseball park's existence.

The club, founded in 1892, is one of the most decorated football sides in British and European history. In its 110-year history, Liverpool has won 18 League titles, the second most in English football, as well as seven FA Cups. The Reds have also won more European titles than any other English side, hauling in five Champions League titles.

Fenway Sports Group, the parent company of the Boston Red Sox, is also the owner of Liverpool. The Merseyside team last travelled to the United States in the summer of 2004 for a North American tour that featured matches in the Greater New York area, Connecticut and Toronto.

In this year's tour, Harvard Stadium will serve as the home base of the Reds. In this summer's 12-day tour of the United States, Liverpool is expected to play not only at Fenway Park, but in other locations such as Toronto and Yankee Stadium. London rivals Chelsea FC is expected to compete in a pre-season match against Scottish premiership leaders Celtic FC at Yankee Stadium, so Yankee Stadium could be the site of a four-team round robin tournament this year.

Men's SoccerSports Blog