Lin '10 To Sit out Rest of Series Against Heat

Thanks to a nagging knee injury, Jeremy Lin '10 will watch the rest of the Knicks' first-round series against the Miami Heat from the sidelines.
By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite New York Knicks fans’ recent hopes that Jeremy Lin ’10 would pull a Willis Reed, surprising the basketball world by coming back from a severe injury and willing his team to victory, it was announced on Tuesday that Lin will not play in his team’s first-round playoff series against the Miami Heat.

Following the Knicks’ practice, interim head coach Mike Woodson spoke to the media about Lin’s unavailability.

''Speaking with medical and Jeremy, he will not play in this series,'' Woodson said. “He’s just not physically ready to play.”

According to reports, Lin has been able to shoot and work out without significant pain, but swelling and tightness has consistently occurred after the fact, rendering his return at all this season highly unlikely.

The Harvard alum, who tore his meniscus with a month remaining in the regular season, is now one of three guards for the Knicks to have to undergo significant knee rehabilitation in the offseason. He is joined by Iman Shumpert and Baron Davis.

New York will have to take on the Heat, who lead 3-1 in this best-of-seven series, without a majority of its backcourt. Woodson stated that veteran Mike Bibby will now start at the point guard position.

After winning Game 4 on Sunday night, the Knicks will look to stave off elimination once more on Wednesday in a pivotal Game 5.

Men's BasketballAlumniSports BlogJeremy Lin