Athlete of the Week: Runners-Up

By Julian Ryan, Contributing Writer

Kenyatta Smith had a monster weekend for Harvard men's basketball, almost netting the first triple-double in school history and earning this week’s top honors. However, in a great week for Harvard sports fans, three other Crimson athletes put in impressive performances.

Amanda Sobhy, Women’s Squash

Women’s squash beat Trinity to clinch the national championship this week for the 14th time in program history. Sobhy has dominated competition for the past two years and in the deciding match this week she was up against Kanzy El Defrawy, the only player to ever even take a game from Sobhy in her career when the two met earlier in the season. There was to be no repeat this time as Sobhy dispatched the freshman, 11-8, 11-7, 11-8, taking Harvard to the top of the college arena.

DJ White, Men’s Volleyball

Penn State came to Harvard riding a 51-game conference win streak and a No. 9 ranking in the country. Expecting a comfortable win, they were instead shocked by the Crimson, led by sophomore DJ White, who produced arguably their biggest win of all time and their first ever over the Nittany Lions. White was dominant with 13 kills and a killing percentage of .500 in a superlative performance.

Steven Keith, Men’s Wrestling

After senior Walter Peppelman recently became the seventh wrestler in Crimson history to achieve 100 career wins, this week Steven Keith followed suit. The senior went a perfect 2-0 with his 100th and 101st victories over Brown and Boston University, respectively, this week, cementing his place on the all-time list.

Sports Blog