Athlete of the Week Runners-Up (Week of 3/25)

Siyani Chambers was one of three men's basketball players tabbed with Athlete of the Week Runners-Up honors.
By Ty Aderhold, Contributing Writer

There was no doubt that a Harvard men’s basketball player would earn Athlete of the Week honors after the team’s historic 68-62 upset of New Mexico in the NCAA tournament on Thursday. With Laurent Rivard taking home the top honors, here are some of the other athletes with great performances from this past week, including three more men from the basketball squad.

Peregrine Badger, Fencing

Badger took home first-team All-American honors at the NCAA Fencing Championships this past weekend after earning a bronze medal.  The sophomore helped lead the men’s fencing team to 75 overall victories this weekend at the national championship.

Sean Poppen, Men's Baseball

The freshman threw a complete game three-hitter and struck out three batters while only allowing one run to earn his first career victory for Harvard as the Crimson beat Houston Baptists, 6-1. Earlier in the week, Poppen worked a scoreless inning of relief with one strikeout while allowing one hit.

Kenyatta Smith, Men's Basketball

Matched-up against seven-footer Alex Kirk, Smith provided a much needed post presence on his way to 10 points and a team-high seven rebounds in Harvard’s win over New Mexico in the NCAA tournament. The sophomore followed Thursday’s performance by leading the Crimson in points with 10 in its loss to Arizona on Saturday in the Round of 32.

Victoria Lippert, Women's Basketball

The senior had a team-high 19 points in the Harvard Women’s Basketball team’s 61-57 first round win over Hartford in the WNIT.  Lippert added another 15 points in the Crimson’s 82-72 second round loss to Drexel in the WNIT.

Siyani Chambers, Men's Basketball

Chambers helped pace the Crimson offense against New Mexico on Thursday tallying five points and a team-high seven assists. On Saturday against Arizona, Chambers finished with six points, three assists, and a chipped tooth for his efforts.

Wesley Saunders, Basketball

The sophomore had a team-high 18 points to lead Harvard past the No. 3 seeded New Mexico Lobos in the second round on the NCAA Tournament. In the Crimson’s third round game against Arizona, Saunders finished with eight points, five rebounds, and five assists.

BaseballMen's BasketballWomen's BasketballFencing