Alumni Update: Alex Killorn

By David Freed, Crimson Staff Writer

In this series of posts, The Back Page checks in with Harvard athletes already in the professional leagues in the United States or abroad, as in the case of former basketball player Keith Wright '12. Today, David Freed takes a look at Tampa Bay lightning center Alex Killorn '12.

After four straight games without a goal, Alex Killorn '12 has posted a goal in his last two games for the Tampa Bay Lightning. He had two straight positive plus-minus efforts for the first time since Feb. 23-24 against Pittsburgh and Carolina.

Killorn was drafted in the third round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by the Lightning before going to Harvard. In four years as a Crimson hockey player, he had 109 points on 524 shots and was a unanimous first team All-Ivy qualifier his senior year. He is Harvard's first 100-point scorer in eight years.

Killorn had an assist and two shots on goal in his first game in the NHL on Feb. 10. Since then, he has two game-winning goals—against the Toronto Maple Leafs (in just his fifth game as a pro) and two weeks later agains the New Jersey Devils—and six goals overall. He has recorded a shot in all but three games and has been getting more playing time as of late. After logging 20 minutes of ice time in just one game as a professional heading into the last week of March, Killorn has played over 20 minutes in three of his last four games, getting 19:27 on the ice in the other.

Sports Blog