Football Racks Up All-Ivy Selections

By Max McEvoy, Contributing Writer

The Harvard football team continued to impress even after season’s end, claiming 18 spots on the All-Ivy first and second teams.

Freshman wide receiver Justice Shelton-Mosley and senior quarterback Scott Hosch were the big winners, with Shelton-Mosley taking home Ivy League Rookie of the Year and Hosch besting the competition to win the New England Player of the Year award.

Shelton-Mosley attained his honor through a unanimous vote by the eight Ivy League coaches. The freshman burst onto the scene in his first season, with highlights including a last second touchdown reception against Dartmouth and three touchdowns to help defeat Yale and clinch for the Crimson its third consecutive Ancient Eight title. He was also All-Ivy second team on offense and first team on special teams as a kick returner.

Hosch was chosen as the top player in New England by the New England Football Writers' Association. In 2015, Hosch set the Harvard single-season passing record by throwing for 2,827 yards, and he finished second all-time with 22 touchdown passes in a season. The quarterback finished his Harvard career with a 15-1 record.

The offense was led by a repeat unanimous first team selection in running back Paul Stanton, who rushed for 809 yards and nine touchdowns on the season. Joining Stanton as unanimous selections were senior offensive linemen Anthony Fabiano and Cole Toner, who with fellow senior All-Ivy first team offensive lineman Adam Redmond protected Hosch throughout the year.

Senior tight end Ben Braunecker was also a unanimous selection at his own position. In his last game against Yale, Braunecker caught six passes for 88 yards and two touchdowns.

Junior defensive back Sean Ahern was a unanimous first team selection in a season when he ranked first in the Ivy League and 13th in the nation with two blocked kicks. He was joined by senior linebacker Eric Medes, who finished the season with 59 tackles—the third highest on the team—and led with 6.0 tackles for a loss. Ahern will captain the Crimson next season.

Of the 27 players on the second team, nine hailed from Harvard, including senior wide receiver Andrew Fischer. Fischer’s 255 all-purpose yards in the team’s 42-7 win over Princeton capped off a productive four seasons in Cambridge.

FootballSports Blog