Kyle Juszczyk Earns Second Pro Bowl Appearance

By Jack Stockless, Crimson Staff Writer

Kyle Juszczyk ’13 is headed back to the NFL’s Pro Bowl. This time, the former Crimson and current San Francisco 49er has earned a spot as the NFC’s starting fullback.

Juszczyk appeared in his first pro bowl last season as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. In that game, the fullback caught five passes for 43 yards as part of the AFC squad’s 20-13 victory. He also tacked on eight rushing yards on three handoffs.

After four seasons with the Ravens, Juszczyk headed to the Bay Area this offseason to join the 49ers on what could end up being a four year deal, depending on team options.

In his first season with San Francisco, the fullback has caught 24 passes for 220 yards and one touchdown to go along with 31 rushing yards. Juszczyk has appeared in 12 games this year, nine of which he started. He is also nearing 1000 career receiving yards, as he has racked up 989 over the course of nearly five years.

Before joining the professional ranks, Juszczyk was a two-time All-American at the tight end/halfback position in coach Tim Murphy’s offense. He also garnered three All-Ivy League selections while at Harvard.

Juszczyk is the Crimson’s all-time leader among tight ends in receiving yards, receptions, and touchdown receptions. His career marks of 1,576 receiving yards, 125 catches, and 22 receiving touchdowns rank seventh, sixth, and third all-time, respectively, among all Harvard players.

The only other Harvard football alumnus to appear in multiple Pro Bowls is Matt Birk ’98. Birk, who earned six Pro Bowl selections, played 14 seasons as a center for the Minnesota Vikings and the Baltimore Ravens.

Juszczyk is one of over 30 former Harvard football players to play in the NFL. Currently, he is joined by Cam Brate, Nick Easton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Tyler Ott.

The Pro Bowl, the NFL’s yearly All-Star game, will be played on Jan. 28 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

—Staff writer Jack Stockless can be reached at jack.stockless@thecrimson.com.

Football