Athlete of the Week: Romeo, Thomas Highlight Big Weekend for Harvard Sports

By Kim Arango, Contributing Writer

MARISA ROMEO, ATTACKER, WOMEN’S LACROSSE

Guiding Harvard on Sunday to a 3-0 winning record in the Ivy League was senior captain and attacker Marisa Romeo. In the away match against Dartmouth College, the Crimson defeated the Big Green in an exhilarating 17-12 victory. Romeo led the Harvard offense with five goals, seven points, and two assists. The Syracuse, N.Y native’s prolific game matched her season high record of scoring and points against Yale on March 4 and brings her to a total of 35 goals this season.

A few days prior on Mar. 28th, in a tight 10-9 loss to Stanford University, Romeo recorded her seventh hat trick of the season along with posting five points. The Syracuse, N.Y. led the Crimson offense with three goals, seven shots, six of those shots on goal, as well as leading with two assists.

Overall, the senior captain currently leads the Crimson squad in goals, points, assists, and shots on goal this season, with 35 goals, 49 points, 14 assists, and 59 shots on goal in the 10 games the team has played.

GABBY THOMAS, SPRINTER, WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

The past weekend, Harvard Track and Field sent some of its players to Gainesville, Flor. for the Florida Relays. On Friday Mar. 31, sophomore sprinter Gabby Thomas continued her record breaking season with a new school record in the 100 meter dash. The new Crimson school record of 11.24 seconds placed Thomas in third place overall at the relays.

The Florence, Mass. native went on to claim a victory in the 200 meter dash, nearly breaking her personal record of 22.47 seconds with a time of 22.60 seconds.

Thomas also excelled in team events, running in the Harvard’s 4x400 meter relay team that recorded a top-10 school time and finished fourth in the relays with a time of 3:39.35 to qualify the Crimson for the final.

The following day on Saturday, the 4x400 meter relay squad competed in the finals. Freshman pentathlete Zoe Hughes, freshman sprinter Karina Joiner, senior sprinter Jade Miller, and Thomas recorded a time of 3:37.43, placing the Crimson on the podium in third place.

Women's LacrosseTrack and Cross Country