The Trouble with Shuttles

I’ll admit it. I was on the infamous “hostage shuttle” on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011. That’s right—I boarded the unmarked, ...
By Elizabeth C. Bloom

I’ll admit it. I was on the infamous “hostage shuttle” on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011. That’s right—I boarded the unmarked, white, Harvard-shuttle-bus-look-alike that was not, in fact, the 10:10 p.m. shuttle going to the Quad. In our defense, it was dark. In our defense, the fake shuttle rolled up to the official Harvard stop. In our defense, we were engaged in conversations that distracted us from the fact that the hostage shuttle lacked any markings suggesting it was, in fact, a Harvard-affiliated vehicle.

Was it thoughtless of us? Yes. Am I humiliated? Slightly. Here’s what one of the people who commented on the Crimson article about the counterfeit shuttle had to say:

Guest: “I’m embarrassed that there are students at Harvard, who are dumb enough to jump into a random, unmarked van. They’re lucky they got charged $5 instead of kidnapped or killed.”

Yikes, that’s harsh, and perhaps somewhat merited. But here is one important defense of our negligent actions: the official shuttle was late. It was 10:23 p.m. by the time the wannabe shuttle, in its unmarked glory, approached the stop in front of Wigglesworth Hall.

This tardiness was not an exception to the rule this semester. The shuttles have been noticeably worse than any other time in my tenure as a Quadling. One of my blockmates recently took a shuttle that was 17 minutes late. Another, after waiting 20 minutes for the 4:45 p.m. shuttle, opted to take a taxi back to the Quad instead of continuing to wait in the cold. My friend who did hold out informed me that the shuttle never arrived—the 5:10 p.m. shuttle finally showed up at 5:15 p.m. I was on a shuttle that arrived in the Quad 15 minutes after its theoretical departure time, thereby delaying those who were waiting to take it to the River.

There have been countless shuttles that have shown up late or have been too small to accommodate all of the students who would like to take them. Transportation Services, the sector of the University Operations Services (UOS) that runs the shuttles, has been employing smaller shuttles recently (I heard a rumor that they are better in cold and snowy weather). But small shuttles leave some Quadlings in the cold, and this is simply unacceptable. When, for example, on Feb. 12, Pforzheimer House hosted the popular “Make It Rain” dance, boarding a shuttle at Boylston Gate was about as easy as trying to type an essay in Sanskrit with one’s toes—for those of us who don’t speak Sanskrit or have particularly flexible toes.

Something must be done. I understand that the mediocre weather has probably made reliable shuttle schedules difficult to adhere to, but the recent woes incurred by Quadlings and Quad-lovers are simply unacceptable. UOS should reconsider routes, especially during rush hour. More shuttles should be available during nights when mini-shuttles must be used, or when the Quad is a popular destination, such as during “Make It Rain.” Shuttles should leave on time, so they can arrive on time. Many students’ schedules rely on predictable shuttles, which they justifiably expect.

I wrote an e-mail to Shuttle Services to air my grievances, but to no avail. A fellow Quad resident called the shuttle number to express concerns over recent inconsistencies, but she was told to “plan ahead.” Hogwash! Planning ahead demands reliability. I recently “planned ahead” by opting to take a 6:45 p.m. shuttle in lieu of a 6:50 p.m. shuttle to ensure I would not be tardy for a 7:00 p.m. appointment on the River. But in any case, no shuttle left until 6:53 p.m. Is that planning ahead? Or is it just a waste of time?

Students should not have to pay for a taxi because a shuttle is late, ever. Shuttles should not be late, especially when it is below freezing outside. Having a shuttle service at all is a luxury, and I certainly appreciate it. Other colleges do not have shuttle services, and many students elsewhere live farther away from their campuses than Quadlings do here. Still, the House community is so tied into the Harvard experience that I believe it is  fair for those of us who were assigned to live in the Quad to expect a dependable transportation service.

I love living in the Quad. I would not substitute my residence in Currier for any other housing option at Harvard. I love our tight-knit community, excellent dining hall, and luxurious housing. But the shuttle service is one aspect of Quad life that has been inconsistent at best. I am generally happy to walk, but sometimes it is simply too cold, or too dark, or I am carrying something heavy, or I am in a rush. There are some fabulous shuttle drivers who are never late, and whom I deeply appreciate; I recognize that it is a thankless job and generally express my gratitude upon exiting the shuttle. But right now, the only other thing going for the shuttles is the fact that they’re marked—and free.

—Elizabeth C. Bloom ’12 is a junior in Currier House. She’s still waiting for the shuttle.

Columns