Head of the Charles '11

By Catherine E. Coppinger

United States Quad Back in Crimson

As athletes ready themselves to compete at this weekend’s Head of the Charles regatta—an event that drew the attention of more than 300,000 spectators last year—the river has been buzzing with activity.

But for Harvard lightweight rowers junior Matt O’Leary, classmate Erich Schultze, sophomore Michael Wales, and junior Alex Newell, who competed as a quad at the 2011 World Rowing Under-23 Championships this summer, preparation for the upcoming season began many months ago.

Read more »

London Calling Harvard Grad

Had Malcolm Howard ’05 never taken another stroke after his days with at Harvard had ended, his three straight undefeated years with the Crimson still would have earned him a place in school history.

Instead, Howard’s star has only shone brighter in the years following his graduation.

Read more »

Bartman Takes the Helm

When many current members of Radcliffe lightweight crew first arrived at Harvard, they never anticipated that they would no longer be under the close guidance and leadership of former Black and White head coach Heather Cartwright.

Over the span of three years, Cartwright led the Radcliffe lightweights to a 15-6 dual record over the course of her three-year run, and three straight fourth-place finishes at the IRA National Championships.

Read more »

Moore Than Meets the Eye

“We had a race at Navy in Annapolis, and then we took the bus ride home eight hours. I got to Eleganza maybe a half-hour before it started, and did it—it’s always hectic in the spring.”

Tim Moore is used to jam-packed schedules. In fact, he thrives on them.

Read more »

Harvard Coach Harry Parker Through the Years ...

Eight official national championships. Eight more unofficial national championships. Twenty-seven Eastern Sprints titles in the varsity eight, and 21 in the second varsity. Twenty-one undefeated dual seasons.

Harry Parker is unquestionably a winner. But the statistics are only the tip of the iceberg.

Read more »
1-5 of 8
Older ›
Oldest »