A Lesson in Humility from Justin Timberlake

By Dee G. Asaah, Contributing Writer

Although fame and humility might seem antithetical at first glance, the two can be ideal partners. This is exemplified by the way famous people interact with the general public. This activity often, by its very nature, requires a certain level of tact and humbleness. While working as a manager at the ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood some time ago, I was occasionally privy to interactions between A-list artists (actors, filmmakers, musicians, writers, etc.) and their admirers during events such as premieres, special screenings, and post-screening question-and-answer sessions. On one such occasion, I witnessed Justin Timberlake straddle the line between fame and humility impeccably, proving that, rather than being dichotomous, success and modesty can indeed be symbiotic.

It was the winter of 2013, and Timberlake’s movie “Inside Llewyn Davis”—directed by the Coen Brothers—was playing at the ArcLight Hollywood. Timberlake and his co-stars, Oscar Isaac and Carey Mulligan, were on hand for a question-and-answer event at the end of a sold-out screening. Although all three actors were munificent in their engagement with the guests, Timberlake in particular had a magnetic, boyish ebullience. He talked passionately about his collaboration with the Coens—praising their clarity of vision and ingenuity—cracked self-deprecating jokes about his insecurity as an actor, and burst into song intermittently to thunderous applause. He was generous, uninhibited, and eloquent.

Normally after special events management and security escorted high-profile guests to their luxurious vehicles—usually black limousines and Escalades—waiting at secluded exits. The goal was always to get the stars out safely so that they would not be overwhelmed by overeager fans. Most of the celebrities who visited the ArcLight Hollywood for special events appreciated this exit strategy, which the experienced ArcLight crew always executed methodically. Some stars, however—such as Gerard Butler, Keanu Reeves, Ethan Hawke, Hugh Jackman, Kevin Spacey, Joss Whedon, Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Pharrell Williams, and Timberlake, to name a few—preferred to interact with fans after their event rather than hurry out of the theater.

Timberlake took his time as he left the ArcLight that night. He snapped pictures with his fans, chatted with them animatedly, answered questions about a myriad of subjects, signed autographs, and snapped countless selfies. What’s more, when the procession—including his co-stars, studio representatives, theater security, and theater management—finally arrived in the parking lot, Timberlake shook hands with everyone, walked to his nondescript SUV (which he had parked amongst a miscellany of guests’ vehicles), slid behind the wheel, and waved with a big smile as he drove off.

It was impossible not to respect Timberlake for his humility, and it was refreshing to see a world-famous artist so comfortable in his own skin and so overtly appreciative of those who appreciated his work. It is quite possible that Timberlake might simply have been playing a role perfected over years in the spotlight. If this was the case, he pulled it off effortlessly. The impact of his visit was palpable on the ArcLight premises that night. Excited fans congregated in the lobby and brandished photos they had taken with Timberlake. Some repeated jokes the artist had cracked with them. All had clearly gotten more than their money’s worth. From a management perspective, it was a flawless night—especially for the guests.

Timberlake seemed to have mastered the words of famous Dutch painter Piet Mondrian: “The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel.” Timberlake exuded presence, courtesy, and respect, all hallmarks of humility. His comportment brings to mind the words of acclaimed writer David J. Bobb in his book “Humility: An Unlikely Biography of America’s Greatest Virtue”: “The true power of humility is missed by many successful people today.” In a culture where, according to Bobb, “cocksure, supercilious, and narcissistic displays of arrogance abound in every arena of life, while acts of humility go unnoticed and unheralded,” Timberlake’s example shows that fame and humility are not binary. On the contrary, being down-to-earth not only enhances accomplishment, it underlies self-respect, magnanimity, altruism, and happiness. As Confucius put it simply: “Humility is the solid foundation of all the virtues.”

------------------------------------------------

“Humility, like darkness, reveals the heavenly lights.” — Henry David Thoreau

“You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I’ve only ever had one.” — Albert Einstein

ColumnsArts