The Ryan, the Witch & the Wardrobe

By Julian Ryan

Parting Shot: The Owen Room in Winthrop G

Since I can remember I’ve argued with my friends about sports.

I grew up in the ‘Golden Age’ of English national football (the sport you play with your feet and a ball, not your hands and an egg) and I can still rattle off the players at every major tournament from 2002-2010. The inability of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard to figure out how to play together in central midfield is one of the tragedies of my lifetime.

Read more »

Seniors Leave Mark on Program

On a quiet Saturday afternoon two weeks ago, Harvard men’s volleyball closed out its home season against Saint Francis, winning in four sets. As senior Will Chambers hit the game-winning kill, the half-full crowd loudly cheered the team—which had clinched a third consecutive playoff bid—off the court. While it was a routine victory for the team, for the five seniors who had just played their final home game, it was the beginning of the end of their four-year journey. Every senior class is special in its own right, but the Crimson will graduate a truly exceptional group of players this year.

When the seniors arrived as bushy-eyed freshmen for the 2011 season, the program was in a very different state. Playing in the second tier of the EIVA, the team finished last in the conference, going 1-7 with its solitary conference win. In the final game of the 2011 season, Shaun Mansour ’11 was the lone senior honored—a far cry from the size of this year’s class.

Read more »
1-2 of 2