To Say the Leist

By Kate Leist

Morning Practice Hinders Housing Day Fun

Three years ago today, a group of nine girls sat in a common room in Wigglesworth waiting for the most important letter we would receive since the one telling us we had gotten into Harvard.

House after house passed by Wigg that morning, eliciting screams of joy or silences of resignation from our entrywaymates. Texts began to come in from friends around the Yard. We began to wonder if we had forgotten to submit our blocking form online.

Read more »

Harvard Women's Hockey Coming Together at Right Time

Since my first day as a sports editor of The Crimson, I have had but one goal: to convince the newspaper to pay for me to jet off to some faraway destination to cover a Big-Deal Game.

Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating. But by picking up women’s hockey as my first-ever beat, I knew I was drafting a winner. After all, in my first season as a writer, the team made it all the way to the NCAA Frozen Four. My older and wiser co-writer got to make that free trip to Duluth (though as he will readily remind me, Duluth in March is far from a glamorous destination) and ever since, I’ve been patiently waiting for my turn.

Read more »

Seniors Close Out Careers as Winners

As Thanksgiving approaches, Harvard undergraduates are coming down from the collective drunken euphoria that is The Game.

Well, that is, pretty much everyone but me. Because while my classmates were tailgating and bidding their proper farewell to Four Loko, I was watching a football game.

Read more »

Penn More Energetic in Victory

PHILADELPHIA—In the game that would decide the fate of its season, Harvard didn’t look like a team fighting for a title. It looked like a team that just got beat.

All season long, Penn has felt like it had something to prove. After going undefeated in the Ivy League last year, the Quakers were not picked to repeat despite returning the majority of their starters. Combine that chip with the emotional drive to win another title in honor of Owen Thomas, Penn’s captain-elect who passed away in April, and it was clear that the Quakers would be a force to be reckoned with on Senior Day at Franklin Field.

Read more »

Football Still Far from Perfect

With a 23-7 win over Columbia in the books, the Harvard football team is in a place many skeptics thought it wouldn’t reach after its embarrassing 29-14 Ivy-opening loss at Brown. Though the Crimson hasn’t always been brilliant, it has found a way to grind out four straight Ivy wins, and heading into the last two weeks of the season, it’s in control of its own destiny.

Harvard has proved all season that it can adapt its offense to almost any opponent, rolling out a balanced attack that has leaned one way or the other depending on what’s working. In the middle of the season, the tailback tandem of senior Gino Gordon and sophomore Treavor Scales picked up the slack when injuries had decimated the aerial attack. Now that junior Collier Winters is back under center, the Crimson’s passing game has become more and more proficient.

Read more »
1-5 of 21
Older ›
Oldest »