Tracts for All Times

I Hate These Teams

March 12, 2019

The defining features of these teams can vary in specificity, as do the levels of the biological hierarchy from domain to species. What Southerners, for instance, have in common is much broader than what the West Coast Straussians have. In discerning what the teams in a given argument are, the trick is to cast a net of the correct size.

Read more

Dysfunctional Gen Ed

February 26, 2019

The College has flagrantly violated this second dictum with its recent revisions to the General Education requirements. Everyone knew that the previous system was flawed because there seemed to be no reason why certain classes counted and other classes did not. One expected, therefore, that the new system would increase the ways in which to satisfy the requirements.

Read more

Less College, Not More

February 12, 2019

Until the last century, college curricula comprised mainly the natural sciences, mathematics, philosophy, and Latin and Greek classics, which together furnished the student with considerable refinement of thought. None, however, obviously lends itself to practical application in a job — even scientific education had the character of classifying and understanding rather than engineering and contriving. The goal of this liberal education was not to impart a skill but instead to cultivate the mind, preferring integration to specificity.

Read more