From College Dems to White House Seder

•
it was probably classier at the White House

Last week, President Barack Obama hosted a friends and family seder in the White House's old family dining room. And the unleavened event was led by none other than one-time Harvard Dems President Eric P. Lesser '07.  Lesser, who could not be reached for comment, is currently a personal aide to Obama adviser David Axelrod. During the campaign, he served as a ground logistics coordinator (read: baggage handler).

Passover began at sundown on Wednesday. It commemorates the Exodus from Egypt over 3000 years ago, when the Jewish people escaped but didn't have time to let their bread rise. Thursday night's seder at the White House reportedly featured a reading of the Haggadah and traditional Jewish goodies like kugel and a roasted egg.

But matzo fast. Some Jewish community members who didn't make the invite list were a bit miffed at having been, well, passed over. Word got out when an email chain discussing the discontent was accidentally circulated. Said one staffer, “Apparently Jewish [sic] here and in neighboring states are now calling wondering why they have not been invited.”

Alas, no one can please all the people all the time. And if you needed more convincing that our current president is different from all other presidents, note that even though Clinton's staff also held seders, Clinton himself did not participate. Besides, the thought of Obama in a kippah makes FlyBy weak in the knees.

Photo courtesy Yoninah/Wikimedia Commons

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.