Apps for Optional Winter Activities Week Due Soon

•

If you’re looking for a way to fund your final week of J-term frivolity, the Undergraduate Council is here to help. But get your applications in fast—the deadline for Optional Winter Activities Week funding is Sunday, Nov. 7.

The UC is providing the means for students to create their own programs during the OWAW, which will take place from Jan. 16-23. Any Harvard undergraduate can apply for funding on the UC website.

The UC pushed to open housing a week before the start of spring semester for those who wish to do something fun or productive, according to Representative Spenser R. Goodman ’14. “We want to make sure they have that opportunity,” he said.

UC Student Life Chair Senan Ebrahim ’12 said that $20,000 is available for distribution. Although no events have been formally approved yet, he estimated that 15-20 applications have been submitted thus far.

Ebrahim said that the majority of the proposed events are “lighthearted” in nature, some examples being applications for a dance class and a laser tag trip. Ebrahim referred to the OWAW as “Camp Harvard: Part 2.”

Other options will be available through student groups. Leaders at the IOP have indicated that they plan to offer a variety of activities during J-term. Although the final program is not yet settled, it is likely to include a series of political and leadership skills workshops, a service day, career and internship information sessions and counseling, and social events. The programming will be intended for a wide range of Harvard students, from those with substantial previous involvement at the IOP.

This post has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: November 30, 2010

An earlier version of the Nov. 4 FlyBy post "Apps for Optional Winter Activities Week Due Soon" used quotes from an interview with a source that was not on the record. The quotes have been removed.

Undergraduate CouncilStudent Groups

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.