Lots and Lots of Ladies

•

A couple days ago, the New York Times reported that the student body at the University of North Carolina was 60 percent female. That leads us to ask this question: how would life at Harvard change if we had a 60-40 split?

At UNC, quite a few of those women are complaining about the lack of available men, but W. Keith Campbell, a psychology professor at the University of Georgia, said that there’s more to the story than immediate romance. Women on campus “are paying a social price for success” and thus face victimization.

Rest assured, Harvard women, that for the time being, such a ratio does not exist here. According to statistics released by the Provost’s Office, there were 3,373 women at the College in October, outnumbering men by only 91—far from a 60-40 divide.

But if Harvard ladies did have a supermajority, what would that do to campus social life? Well, the obvious transformation of Fox to Vixen, Phoenix S.K. to Flamingo, could leave the women, and not the men, waiting outside for admission on some cold Friday evening in February. Such a disparity, though, could make it far easier for the guys interested in the ladies to find someone to take to the next House formal.

Then, there’s Harvard’s recent fascination with speed-dating. While we have feared running into "a giant room full of white guys with yellow fever" at past speed-dating events, we may end up seeing more sponsored by the Radcliffe Union of Students.

Of course, there’s primal scream, which in the past has always been male-heavy. Who are we kidding? Nothing would change there.

Student LifeCollege Life

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.