May 10-16: Suspicious Activity

•

Contrary to popular belief, "Securitas" is not a portmanteau of "security" and "veritas," but rather the name of the multinational corporation subcontracted by Harvard for campus security. Despite this fact, we here at FlyBy find the word "Securitas" to be so hilarious that we've decided to name a new series after it. Every week, we'll offer up amusing (and sometimes absurd) HUPD daily log entries. Take a look!

BY THE NUMBERS

Reports of "suspicious activity": 12

Reports of unwanted guests: 6

Number of skateboard complaints: 3

May 10, 2010

Motor Vehicle Accident (7:37 a.m.)

NRB, New Research Building, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston

Officer dispatched to a report of property damage. Officer arrived and spoke to the reporting party who stated while operating a forklift they accidentally struck the ceiling and damaged eight sheet rock tiles and an industrial light. Johnson Controls was on scene and secured the tiles and light.

Skateboard Complaint (5:48 p.m.)

JFK Park, 968 Memorial Drive, Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of individuals skateboarding in the area. Officers arrived and sent the individuals on their way.

May 11, 2010

Suspicious Activity (12:15 a.m.)

Chilled Water Plant BSCH, 80 Harvard Way, Allston

Officer dispatched to a report of individuals acting suspiciously inside a motor vehicle. Officer arrived and searched the area for the individuals and the motor vehicle with negative results.

Vandalism (5:25 a.m.)

John Harvard Statue, 1 Harvard Yard, Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of vandalism. Officer arrived and reports a fire extinguisher had been discharged on the statue. Operations was notified and responded to clean the area.

May 12, 2010

Unwanted Guest (11:13 a.m.)

Freshman Dean's Office, 6 Prescott Street, Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of an individual yelling. Officers arrived and sent the individual on their way.

May 13, 2010

Suspicious Odor / Smoke (7:45 p.m.)

Apley Court, 16 Holyoke Street, Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of the odor of smoke. Officer arrived along with the Cambridge Fire Department and spoke to the reporting party who stated they were attempting to get rid of some papers by burning them in the bathtub. Officer reports no working fire upon arrival and there was no damage done to the building.

May 14, 2010

Unwanted Guest (11:21 a.m.)

Holyoke Center Parking Garage, 1350 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of an individual yelling. Officers arrived and report the individual was lost. Officers sent the individual on their way.

May 15, 2010

Suspicious Activity (1:01 a.m.)

10 Akron Street, Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of an individual screaming. Officers arrived and searched the area for the individual with negative results.

Suspicious Activity (1:01 a.m.)

Au Bon Pain, 1360 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Officer informed of an individual yelling. Officer searched the area for the individual with negative results.

May 16, 2010

Unwanted Guest (6:37 a.m.)

Hoffman Lab Geology, 20 Oxford Street, Cambridge

Officer dispatched to a report of two individuals sleeping in the grated area. Officer arrived sent the individuals on their way.

Suspicious Activity (11:44 p.m.)

Cabot House K, 60 Linnaean Street, Cambridge

Officers dispatched to a report of a group individuals throwing water jugs off the fire escape. Officers arrived and sent the group inside. Officer reports there is no damage done to the area.

CrimeHUPDSecuritas

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.